Need advice

If you have a question or comment about the forum or the web site you can post it here.

Moderator: John Smith

KCardiff
Vision: Contact lenses

Need advice

Postby KCardiff » Sat 19 Sep 2015 6:19 pm

Hey all. I got diagnosed with KC in my left eye about 8 months ago and i have just recently started using the contact lens. I have suffered with eye infections due to allergies and hay-fever for as long as i can remember, so my eye waters A LOT. To counter this i have been using allergy eye drops daily (Alomide), however when i use the lens my eye waters like crazy and although the lens will sit on the eye, it tends to slip slightly due to the water so i don't get the full benefit of the lens. This is the first time i have ever used one so could it just be normal? Is it just a case of keep using it and my eye will eventually stop watering this much? Or do i need to contact my consultant?

Also, when my eye does water, what is the best way to clear it without rubbing, so not to accidentally pull the lens out/move it.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Need advice

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 21 Sep 2015 2:48 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
For most people, it takes about 2 weeks to get used to wearing contact lenses, building the wear time up gradually from 1 hour a day and increasing it by another hour each day (and sometimes going backwards for a day or two!) If you're still getting this amount of watering after a week or two, then it's best to go back to the person who fitted your contact lenses and explain the problems you're having so that they can see what's going on. Fitting contact lenses on a KC eye isn't easy, and sometimes the first lens isn't quite right. But it really needs someone to look at your eye to work out what's needed. That may be a different type of lens or 'tweaking' the prescription you've got. Let us know how you get on.
Anne

KCardiff
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Need advice

Postby KCardiff » Mon 21 Sep 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you :) I had it in for about 2 hours on my first day so i guess i need to shorten that and build up the time i use it gradually as you mentioned. Hopefully the watering does subside and i get full use out of it. I'm seeing someone next month if it does not get any better by then :)

In the mean time i will do what you said :)

Thank you

Return to “Help and Advice”