Advice needed

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Chezza13
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Advice needed

Postby Chezza13 » Fri 02 Apr 2021 3:52 pm

Hello

I have just registered with the forum and i am hoping you may be able to advise me.
I have KC which was diagnosed properly last year. I have recently had further scans and unfortunately has shown progression in the condition. I wear glasses and have been trialling rigid contact lenses since march 2020 i have a further lens appointment soon.
My question is regarding driving i have never declared my KC to the DVLA as it was not listed on their medical conditions that require declaring. Im worried that i should have declared it. I can see well with my glasses or lenses in but dont want to not declare something if i should.

Thanks so much for reading.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Advice needed

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 02 Apr 2021 4:01 pm

Hello Chezza and welcome. I've moved your post to the general discussion where more people will see it. If your KC isn't affecting your vision and you're within the legal requirements for driving, then declaring to DVLA isn't essential, though would do no harm (the most they'd do is ask you to read a number plate at the required distance. But I WOULD declare your KC to your insurance company. If you did have an accident, they might not pay out if it then came out that you have KC and hadn't declared it.
Hope that helps.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”