Keratoconus stable condition

Don't ask questions here; this is for posting closed FAQs with their answers only.

Moderators: John Smith, Sweet

drm1234
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Keratoconus stable condition

Postby drm1234 » Tue 05 Jun 2012 6:12 am

Hi,

I am 28 years old and have been diagnosed with keratoconus in the year 2005 and from then on I have been using RGP lens and last month I started using synergy eyes clearkone lens for my left eyes and synergy eyes A lens for my right one. My vision with both RGB and synergy eyes lens for the both eyes is 20/20. I able to wear both these lens for 13-15 hrs daily.

Now that I am hearing a lot about corneal cross linking I am confused whether to go for it or not to have it. Last year when I had my eye checkup my astigmatism reduced by 2 diopters and spherical power increased by 2.5 diopters with glasses and my corneal topography is same as it was 5 years back. Same in the sense my corneal thickness is same K value is same.

My question is what are the symptoms that keratoconus is progressing? In my case I am 28 years old and for the past 7 years astigmatism reduced by 2 diopters and spherical increased by 2.5 diapers and there is no change in corneal thickness and K values.Does that mean it stabilized? Should I go for corneal crosslinking or shall I not? I am hearing that corneal crosslinking can some time cause haziness.Can any one please guide me. Thanks a lot for helping me?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Keratoconus stable condition

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 05 Jun 2012 10:03 am

Hello drm and welcome to the forum,
I'll leave one of our experts to comment on the figures you quote. But it sounds as though you're doing very well with your lenses and getting very good vision with them. And while your uncorrected vision has changed a bit, it's very good news that the corneal thickness has remained stable. You don't give us that measurement, but if it's comfortably over 400 microns, then you don't need to rush into a decision about CXL. As you say, there are always risks with any intervention, and a few people here have been disappointed with the results. So it's a question of weighing up the potential benefits (stopping any possible progression) against the possible risks. Plus the fact that treatment methods, including CXL, are constantly evolving and improving.
It's a very individual decision. My personal philosophy these days is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. But I'm sure others think differently!
All the best, whatever you decide.
Anne

drm1234
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby drm1234 » Wed 06 Jun 2012 6:00 am

Anne thanks a lot for replying to my question. My left eye minimum corneal thickness is 437 microns and my right eye corneal thickness is 440 microns. And my right eye max K value is 47.36 and my left eye max k value is 49.19.And it did not change for the past 5 years. So if cornea is not thinning does that mean keratoconus is not progressing. If that's the case I will hold on till cross linking proves to be 100% safe. I think there is no point in taking the risk when its not progressing. I would like to know what are the symptoms that keratoconus has stabilized.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 07 Jun 2012 7:07 am

What you describe is similar to my last check up in February and I was told the cornea is stable, it was just intra-ocular changes so a case of natural ageing process on the rest of the eye, e.g. the lens and eye muscles.

You can have corneal thickness measured on different machines by different manufacturers on different days (even the same machine) and you will get subtle changes in corneal thickness, this is quite normal and a change in 3 microns is 0.000003 of a meter and can change depending how hydrated your eyes are so to me it doesn't appear your corneas are thinning.

The people I know that are diappointed with CXL are those who thought their vision would improve. The whole aim of CXL is to stop the cornea changing i.e. stop it getting worse but we are all different and for some people the conea shape does change which ofetn means new lens fittings.
Gareth

Kirsty87
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Kirsty87 » Wed 11 Jul 2012 5:36 pm

Hi I was wondering of you decided to go for the cross linking or not? I am 25 and I dnt wear my rigid lens that's prescribed for my left eye and I seem to be coping fine however I am reading evidence that cross linking is more effective in halting the progression of KC when the procedure I carried out sooner rather than later.

I find myself worrying about what might happen and constantly panic that I may lose my sight even tho I seem to be coping fine at the moment!!
I am unsure where to go for the cross linking advise as my eye hospital only really fob me off with the lens which I fun hard to tolerate :(

Return to “Frequently asked Questions - and Answers”