Intacs

Don't ask questions here; this is for posting closed FAQs with their answers only.

Moderators: John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Intacs

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 26 Jan 2010 9:21 am

Intacs involves the insertion of small semi circular slips of clear plastic into the cornea. It is reversible and should offer both improved vision and the possibility of an easier fit for contact lenses.

Crosslinking usually involves the removal of the surface layer of cells from the cornea and then dropping riboflavin into the eye over a period of half an hour or so. The riboflavin is then fixed into the structure of the eye using ultra violet light. Because of the use of UV, it is not considered safe to offer crosslinking to people whose corneas have thinned below 400 microns.

The fact that they are always crosslinking less depleted corneas means that they have no way of knowing after the event whether the stability of the cornea would have happened spontaneously or whether it has been a result of the procedure.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

robert703
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby robert703 » Mon 11 Apr 2011 12:25 pm

As I understand it...intacs aren't available on the NHS in Coventry which is where I go for my contact lenses. Fully staffed(every day of the week) low vision clinic(contact lenses) unlike the eye unit in my home town.

As I live in Wolverhampton, have just written a letter to my GP to see whether he can shed some light on whether I can get intacs on the NHS or not.

Will let you know what he says.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 11 Apr 2011 7:34 pm

Robert

Welcome to the forum. It may be that Intacs are available to those for whom the procedure in clinically indicated, but not for those for whom it is not. Contraindications for Intacs can include things like keratoconus that is too far advanced.

Please do let us know what your GP says.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

liam82
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby liam82 » Wed 29 Jun 2011 8:02 am

Ive been considering asking about intacs too.

Are there any real negatives to them?

Return to “Frequently asked Questions - and Answers”