Intacs

Don't ask questions here; this is for posting closed FAQs with their answers only.

Moderators: John Smith, Sweet

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Intacs

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 09 Dec 2008 7:13 am

Samantha

Welcome to the forum

I am sorry to hear that your 10 year old has Keratoconus, but as you can see; he is not alone!

By all means, pursue the question of crosslinking with your ophthalmologist. Indeed, trawl through the strings on this site and read the articles accessible from the main menu page. http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/

Write down the questions you want to ask your ophthalmologist. If you are told that one treatment or another is unsuitable for your 19 year old, then ask why. Unfortunately, keratoconus exhibits in different ways in different sufferers so that there really is not one treatment or method of management that is universally applicable to all.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 09 Dec 2008 10:29 am

Hello Samantha
Have you had the 2007 conference DVD from us? That included talks about all the different options for KC now available, including all the contact lens options. If you'd like a copy, just e-mail me your postal address, and I'll send you it to you
anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk
Anne

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Wed 10 Dec 2008 2:45 am

Hallo Samantha,
Welcome to the forum. I wonder if we are always more worried about the health problems of our family and friends even than our own?
Please do be reassured that the problems you read about on here are the extreme end of the spectrum - it is those of us who have more problems with our KC and our eyes who find more need of the mutual support and camaraderis of a support group. There are far more people who find they have KC, get fitted with contact lenses, and get on fine with them and no problems - and so see no need to hang around here.
As regards intacs/CXL: there is a theory that one does the intacs first,t hen the CXL.
The idea is: you stretch the cornea out to a better shape with the intacs.
Then you do the CXL to strengthen it into that better shape.
It is complicated if your son in 10 - CXL can only be got inthe UK onthe NHS for people who can get enrolled into a clinical trial.
And there are lots of rules, regulrions and red tape (known in the trade as "medical ethics") about involving minors in clinical trials.
But please do read up here on all the options and go aolong with lots of quesitons.
Good luck! - and do let us know how you and he get on.
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 10 Dec 2008 7:17 am

I guess the rules and red tape of which Rosemary posts would make it unlikely that a 10 year old would be accepted onto any clinical trials in the UK.

I know that this may seem unjust, but a 10 year old potentially live for longer with the consequences of the procedure, and a 10 year old would be less able to give 'informed consent' to the procedure.

Still, there would be no harm in asking.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

lit4life

Postby lit4life » Sun 04 Jan 2009 11:44 pm

i am 19 years old and have had KC since i was 15 i wear hard lenses and cant get used to them and they dont seem to help much i find myself walking down the street and cant make out whats what and i think the last thing left for me to do is get intacts! i was wandering does any1 know if i can get them at age 19 and if they really do help???????????????????????????

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 06 Jan 2009 6:33 pm

There are lots of things to say in response to your post.

Firstly, there is no reason, in principle, why INTACS should be denied a 19 year old patient, but then 'principle' is not the only criterion. Ask your ophthalmologist; eye surgeons see the eye they are talking about and are able to assess the possibility of a successful outcome.

That said, have you tried any other sort of lens? There is a wide variety of lens materials and lens styles. it may simply be that the lenses you are trying to wear are not ideal for your condition.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Craig Duncan

Postby Craig Duncan » Fri 27 Mar 2009 8:56 am

Hello all,

Well, what can I say? It's has been a hectic few months since I had my Intacts fitted back on Friday 12th December of last year at Gartnavel, under the stewardship of Dr Ramesh. From what I am lead to believe this was a trial and I am one of the first to get this operation done in Scotland on the NHS and very much the Guinea Pig for the rest of the Contact Lens Clinic Team who could not contain their excitement / Professional interest.

I was in and back out the same day and had been offered the procedure under a Local anaesthetic, but declined this kind offer and Voted for a General one instead and was despatched with 2 types of eye drops to keep me going. I did imagine it would be a whole lot more painful, but turned out to be more irritating / dry which came as a pleasant surprise. All in all since it was such a new procedure and My GP / Occupational Health Dept. had never heard of it before, they were only to willing to follow Gartnavels lead on being fit for returning to work and I was off work for 6 weeks.

The follow ups that I have had have been mixed reviews of the success of this operation. Yes, it's been a complete success in changing the shape of the Cornea, but my vision has got worse in the eye from(-10) to (-16), if that means anything to you reading this. The only other down side I am experiencing is the Halo's at night from lights sources and especially from on coming traffic which is taking a lot of getting used to as I am aware of my Pupil reacting to the light source.

Dr Ramesh is extremely happy with the position of the Intact Rings and is hoping that given another few weeks and trying a Contact Lens back in the eye should hopefully eliminate the Halo affect that I am experiencing. If not they may have to come out if I cannot get used to it and the end game will be a Corneal Transplant.

I am aware that there were two of us that had the Intact operation that day and part of the same Trial. As far as i am aware the other Guinea pig has had a lot more success with the improvement to his vision, so much so infact that his other eye is also showing signs of improvement.

If anybody any questions only to happy to help!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 27 Mar 2009 11:21 am

Way to go, Craig!

The good thing about intacs insertion is that nothing is ruled out for the future. You still have the option of a graft, and there is every chance that your vision will improve with the Intacs, along with lenses.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Craig Duncan

Postby Craig Duncan » Fri 27 Mar 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks Andrew...I am of the opinion and mind set of Nothing ventured nothing gained......I have another follow up appointment early May and waiting on a contact lens appointment prior to that.

Will keep the site updated.

Cheers

C

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Fri 27 Mar 2009 9:01 pm

Hmmm..... -10 to -16 means from pretty short sighted to even more short sighted. very roughly, from reading a book with the page about 6" away to about 3.5" away - well, closer, anyway!
That would happen (getting more short sighted) if having the intac in had made the centre of the cornea a little further forward.
If the intac makes the surface more regular and easier to fit a lens to, you could get better corrected vision than before, which I thought as the idea of intacs??
SOunds like the process is going reasonably well, even if the light rings are a uisance. Hope you get the contact fitting and working well.
Rosmaery

Return to “Frequently asked Questions - and Answers”