Is Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL) beneficial for someone with keratoconus?

Don't ask questions here; this is for posting closed FAQs with their answers only.

Moderators: John Smith, Sweet

colh76
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Is Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL) beneficial for someone with keratoconus?

Postby colh76 » Wed 25 May 2016 6:56 pm

I was just told that due to the fact that I have early stage of keratoconus, I was not suitable for LASIK. Instead, Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL) was offered as I have enough space to insert the lens.

There seems to be talk of this procedure being riskier and having a higher chance of cataracts?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Is Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL) beneficial for someone with keratoconus?

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 25 May 2016 8:25 pm

Any invasive eye surgery has risks and also does risk cataracts developing earlier than normal. But the main thing is that implantable lenses are normally only used in keratoconus if the condition has stabilised. If your KC progresses, that would need a new prescription of the lens so another surgical procedure. Do you have good vision with glasses? Were contact lenses suggested to improve your vision?

colh76
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Re: Is Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL) beneficial for someone with keratoconus?

Postby colh76 » Thu 26 May 2016 9:19 pm

Anne Klepacz wrote:Any invasive eye surgery has risks and also does risk cataracts developing earlier than normal. But the main thing is that implantable lenses are normally only used in keratoconus if the condition has stabilised. If your KC progresses, that would need a new prescription of the lens so another surgical procedure. Do you have good vision with glasses? Were contact lenses suggested to improve your vision?

If the condition has not stabilised then ICL is not a good option?

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 30 May 2016 3:14 pm

That was certainly the view of the consultant who spoke about ICLs at our Glasgow conference. And the Centre for Sight website also talks about ICLs being used for keratoconus that is not progressing.

mandymiller
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby mandymiller » Tue 26 Jul 2016 10:12 pm

My keratoconus has been stable for decades and three years ago i had a partial cornea transplant. ...no July the 14th 2016 I haf an icl implanted in my right eye....I'm very happy with the result and I'm saving hard to get my left eye done asap! I have only one complaint. ...my near vision now is bad. ..I need reading glasses. ...but the pros outweigh the cons!

Return to “Frequently asked Questions - and Answers”