Exercise suggestions after cross-link

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Elan
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Exercise suggestions after cross-link

Postby Elan » Wed 15 Jun 2022 6:29 pm

Hello, I recently had two cross-link interventions on both my eyes with one month apart betwen the procedures. Today I went back after a month passed for the post-intervention check-up and the doctor told me to come back in 6 months to see if any changes occured.

He also told me that I should not do any strength exercises during that time, only light jogging which is my main issue. I'm fairly active and work out almost daily, no equipment but I do try to push my limits (like push-ups for example) and the idea of not being able to do any training for 6 months is driving me a li'll bit crazy. >.>

I wanted to ask for any advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation and perhaps found certain exercises that still work without damaging your cornea. I know I can't do strength exercises but I'm not sure what else I can do besides a light jog and the doc wasn't very helpful with giving me examples of what I can and can't do besides what I mentioned.

I tried looking online for advice but no luck, if anyone knowledgeable could kindly offer advice from personal experience (or other sources) I would apreciate it, I've started working out 5 months ago and got into shape again after a long break due to the whole Corona incident. Having to stop again and let all that work go to waste is not a pleasent thought but I also don't wanna damage my eye sight. *sigh*

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Exercise suggestions after cross-link

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 16 Jun 2022 4:55 pm

Hi Elan and welcome,
No personal experience (CXL came too late for me) but these are the aftercare instructions produced by Moorfields https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/sites/def ... ctions.pdf
which suggest that non-contact sports are OK.

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby RedOnion » Thu 16 Jun 2022 5:52 pm

I took it very easy but once the vision was a bit better I went on various walks, progressively getting longer.

Weight exercise was something I went back to a couple of months after. Again, light progression was key, overdoing it never seemed a good idea!

Elan
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby Elan » Fri 17 Jun 2022 10:46 am

Oh thank you for the responses! ^^
Well by the looks of it, I'll refrain from the weight until after the 6 month check-up and see from there, start off slow and progress.
Not ideal but better than not having to work out at all.
Thank you once more for the responses! ^^

Return to “General Discussion Forum”