Four-footed friends (15 hands and otherwise)

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Four-footed friends (15 hands and otherwise)

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 25 May 2008 9:46 pm

Hi folks.
SOme of you who've read elsewhere about the adventures of Duke and his not-too-talented 'Er Up On Top may be interested to know he can now be seen on the web.
Danny, who runs the stable yard/field where he lives has a web site
http://www.freewebs.com/dannycrossinstructor
Duke appears in the Photo Gallery, in the section labelled "the gang".
There aren't any pictures of him and me together yet; maybe sometime soon.
Plenty of other piccies there of the rest of the menagery, including the rescued Shetlands.
Meanwhile, I have a couple of gashes across my right forearm, and one just above my right elbow. I can see that some people who have heard gory details of recent anaesthetic-induced hallucinations will need reassuring that these were casued not by a Stanley knife but a hawthorn tree! - whose branches Duke walked underneath without the slightest "let or hindrance", and if I stick up several hands higher than his 15 when I'm riding him, that's my problem not his!!
Rosemary

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Four-footed friends (15 hands and otherwise)

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 26 May 2008 2:32 pm

:wink:

My son used to ride a horse that had discovered that, by walking beneath a tree, he could 'brush' his rider off. Unfortunately for the horse, my son was wise to his game and used to let 'Titan' walk him to the tree then he would turn the horse and take him around the trees rather than under them; the net effect was that the horse walked far further with rider in saddle than would have been necessary otherwise.

Horse and rider then got on very well together.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Jeremy_123
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jeremy_123 » Thu 29 May 2008 2:44 pm

Nice horse, although both these stories remind me of someone who once said to me that they'd rather have a form of transport that didn't have a mind of its own :lol:

Mind you though, I've never been on a horse so I couldn't really comment on what its like to ride one and how the rider and horse work together. Still one more thing though to put on the list of things to do in life.

Jez.
If you break a leg hop along on the other one, if you break the other leg shuffle along on your backside, if you've got piles its your unlucky day.

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lesley Foster » Thu 29 May 2008 6:07 pm

I was always wary of horses, I used to do a post round and while dogs didn't particularly bother me horses did so it was somewhat surprising when, after a few bevvies one new years eve I promised to go riding with a friend. :roll:

I duly went and once they found a horse to suit me off I trotted hanging on for dear life and was presented with a rosette when I got back, presumably for staying on :D I was quite pleased with myself if a bit sore and decided to go again. Wrong decision, I managed a couple more times without falling off and was then introduced to a different horse, one with a mind of its own! Needless to say I came a cropper as the horse decided to go off an a gallop and not tell me. If I had been in a diving competition I would have scored maximum points :shock: I did get back on but that was the last time. Never again; horses can stay the other side of the fence for me from now on.

Moral: keep your mouth shut when you have had a drink or two. :wink:
Live long and Prosper.

Jeremy_123
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jeremy_123 » Thu 29 May 2008 9:14 pm

"Moral: keep your mouth shut when you have had a drink or two"

LOL, tell me about that one, I drunkenly gave my word last year at uni that I would appear in a nude charity calendar and I stuck to what I had said, fortunately however I had a whole pool table to hide behind unlike the others in the shot. It was not too bad actually until someone I knew from some voluntary stuff I'd done for the union decided to cut through where the photo was being taken, four blokes stood in the buff round a pool table having a game with someone taking photos, she promptly turned around and made the swiftest exit I've ever seen anyone make :lol:

Still, it was a good laugh and I could probably be persuaded to do it again. all you need is 6 pints + some peach schnapps and you can probably get me to agree to anything :lol:

Horse wise however, I'll leave riding them to the pros me thinks, meanwhile where's the racing form......

Jez.
If you break a leg hop along on the other one, if you break the other leg shuffle along on your backside, if you've got piles its your unlucky day.

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Fri 30 May 2008 7:36 pm

Tee hee! about the nude calendar!
As regards drinking about horses - can thoroughly recommend not trying to ride a horse after a few pints - not only does it make the balance more difficult, it's a bit difficult to sit on a horse with one's legs crossed when the other horses want to keep on going.
Recently at our place, it has been Duke doing the drinking! - he was diagnosed as being a bit anaemic, and was prescribed (by Danny, our yard manager) Guinness in his dinner.
We also tried giving him pots of bio-yoghurt in his dinner - yoghurt one day, and Guinness the next - in case the antibiotics he'd been given for his infected foot had been affecting his gut microorganisms.
One or the other - or even both did the trick and he was soon bouncing around with his usual laddishness.
Meanwhile, there was Muggins Here, doubtless looking very strange being 47, 5'6" and about 15 stone (!!!!! - not least because of all the steroids and post-op taking it easy!)....
........ doubtless looking rather incongruous in very-stretch jodhpurs (!) in the checkout queue in ASDA with a basket full of own label cheapo tea, coffee and biscuits and a 16-pack of Guinness cans.
"Nope, they're not for me; they're for an anaemic horse."
(The biscuits etc were for the tea-caravan in the field.)
Rosemary

Jeremy_123
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jeremy_123 » Sat 31 May 2008 12:30 pm

All 16 cans for an anaemic horse, yep I bet they were :wink:

More like one for you, one for me, one for you, one for me I suspect :D

Why can't I be offered some medical advice like that a bit more often, then again the first dentist I went to said I should drink beer rather than soft drinks, I wasn't even 10 years old at the time, lol.

Still wouldn't that be wonderful though in hospital if instead of a saline drip they came along and plugged in a bottle of champagne :idea:

Jez. 8)

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Sat 31 May 2008 1:48 pm

Well, I have heard of someone in hospital getting that sort of prescription....
...... a friend of my parents, or so my mum tells me, was lying in his hospital bed awaiting news of imminent surgery for (IIRR) testicular cancer.
Consultant comes in with collection of bottles.
"Your test results are in," consultant allegedly told him. "You're anaemic. We can't go ahead with the op till you get yourself outside this little lot."
And set down a line of bottles of Guinness.
My dad told me that when he was in the RAF (on National Service just after the War) those who volunteered to donate blood got given a bottle of beer to help them recover afterwards. WOuld make a nice change from the tiny plastic cups of water or vaguely-fruity squash available when I last went to a blood donor clinic. Mind, I'm not allowed to now.
Duke, I should add, is big and butch enough to gallop up a field with my weight on his back - not always when I've asked him to! - so a can of Guinness goes much less far than on me - or his owner, who is considerably slimmer.
I think there may be some left, actually..... so we may finish them up tomorrow (it's my birthday!)
Rosemary

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Tue 03 Jun 2008 7:20 pm

Well, new experience today!
We had the vet come round to the field to castrate two of the young colts.
Twoo little grey ponies..... the darker grey one proved so hard to sedate that the vet ended up giving him enough ketamine for two carthorses - and he still managed to kick his owner in the delicates.
I then had to hold onto him with the vet did the snipping on the white one ... and the sedatives were taking effect b y then, the poor little chap was staggering around hardly able to stand up and with his head drooping lower and lower, and the others kept shouting at me to pull his head up, push him, pull him, not let him fall down...... how? push in which direction? he looked like he'd fall over any direction the wind blew.
When all the snipping was done, their owner had told the vet to dispose of the removed bits (!) as surgical waste because he didn't want to keep them, and I went to make the vet a cup of coffee (being the only one without bloodstained hands) dark grey little pony did fall over.
By the time we went home, the darker grey one was looking fine, just walking a little gingerly. ANd the white one, who'd had the normal dose of sedatives and been good as gold, was looking very cold and shakey and shivery and was bleeding again.
Owner gave him a shot of bute, and rapidly perked him up enough that he was busily tucking into his painkiller-laced dinner.
Felt a great deal of fellow-feeling for the poor little chap.
Rosemary

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Sun 15 Jun 2008 10:30 pm

Wheeeeeeeeee!
We've been jumping!!!!!
Well, Duke jumps; Rosemary clings on tight.
Danny has posted some pics of this on the web site
http://www.freewebs.com/dannycrossinstructor
Click on "picture gallery", then "riders, sharers, etc" at the bottom of the sets of photos.
I'm the one in the pink and green helmet and the bright pink jodhpurs.
There will also be pictures of Duke being ridden by Lesley (his owner) and maybe also Bonnie.
They jump higher than I do.... but hey! 15" max is a start and it's only a few wekks since I was wondering if I'd ever ride again.
Rosemary

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”