Your contact lens stories

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Your contact lens stories

Postby Louise Pembroke » Wed 27 Feb 2008 2:14 pm

We have sometimes been in funny situations with lens, put 'em here for a laugh!

Last year, I was speaking at a conference - 5 mins before I was due on the lens has a wobbly. I run to the disabled toilet, throw everything onto the floor and have a panic because there's no reading without the lens. God knows what passing people thought of hearing a woman screaming from the toilet, "GET IN YOU BAS****!!!"
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Your contact lens stories

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 27 Feb 2008 5:26 pm

I used to pop my lenses out in the oddest circumstances.

One time I had to speak to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. I got up to speak and made my way to the microphone reserved for Conveners of Boards. I almost said "Moderator" when my lens popped out. Suddenly all the officials were on their hands and knees, but it was the Moderator who found my lens. He picked it up on the tip of his finger, handed it to me and we carried on as if nothing had happened.
:?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Wed 27 Feb 2008 5:42 pm

Many years ago, at conference, got drunk, lost lens, had to present sitting down :shock: couldn't damn well see a thing like the flip chart, people...

Rushed into Boots and cleared the counter to flip out the lens as it was really hurting, cue shocked assistants who thought I was taking out a prosthetic eye!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 27 Feb 2008 6:10 pm

Was in a car park unlocking my car when my lens shot out. It landed on the roof of the car. I cleaned my hands with some wipes, picked up my lens and rinsed it in a little vial of sterilized water and popped it back in. Someone did stop as the drama unfolded to ask if I needed any help. I smiled benignly and said, somewhat disingenuously, "Everything is under control"
Andrew MacLean

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Postby Louise Pembroke » Fri 28 Mar 2008 10:53 pm

I had 3 lens wobblies today of the full-on screaming in pain, suction pad removal [inlcuding one over someones shop counter] type.
ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Matthew_
Champion
Champion

Postby Matthew_ » Wed 02 Apr 2008 10:06 am

I dropped my lens down the plug hole the other day. My wife retrieved it for me after dismantling the S-Bend. 8)

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 02 Apr 2008 3:42 pm

I once dropped a lens down the back of the photocopier. It popped out of my eye, bounced off the photocopier lid and dropped down the back into all the fluff and stour.

The cleaner pulled from her pocket a pop sock that she keeps handy for such occasions. She slipped over the open end of the vacuum cleaner hose and sucked up the stour. My lens was kept from going all the way into the cleaner's dust bag by the nylon pop sock!

Andrew

by the way, for those who are not from Scotland or the North of England, stour is a real word:
stour |stoŏr| (also stoor) noun Scottish & N. English dust forming a cloud or deposited in a mass. Oxford English Dictionary
Andrew MacLean

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”