Autumn at Loch Lomond

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Autumn at Loch Lomond

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 06 Nov 2007 10:10 am

My wife and I found ourselves in the proximity of a camera shop the other day. I am now the proud co-owner of a neat little digital camera AND I still have my phone.

Now, here's a question for all the clever people: I took this (I am afraid I had to reduce the size quite a lot to get it posted here). I wanted to get the impression of the 'tunnel' through which I was walking, but the result is that the view beyond is over exposed. What can I do about this?

In the right context I really love these large atchitectural plants. When they are in flower they look amazing and dramatic, and even in the autumn they frame the 'moon gate' really well. In the wrong context they just look huge and ugly!

(These photographs were taken in the grounds of Ross Priory, on Loch Lomondside. It is a 'retreat' for academic and related staff at the University of Strathclyde, and includes a very good golf course. Sadly, neither Alison nor I play golf.)

Andrew MacLean

Eddie S
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Eddie S » Thu 08 Nov 2007 11:56 am

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on your purchase!

I don't confess to being an expert at this - now I have digital I only manage to take good pictures by taking LOTS of pictures! Law of averages states that the more you take the more are likely to be 'better than average'! However, i'll try and help.

You didn't say what camera you are using but if your camera is overexposing one thing you can do is to play with your exposure compensation buttons - usually on your camera as a +/- button. This button helps the cameras on board exposure metering expose the picture in the way you want it.

http://www.digicamhelp.com/learn/toptips/exposure-tips.php wrote:Adjusting exposure
Exposure Compensation (EC) is used to change the exposure from the setting automatically selected by the camera. EC is used when lighting conditions cause very bright and very dark areas in a scene. Exposure can be changed in increments such as: -1, -.7, +.7, +1. When the main subject is darker than a bright background, use a positive number. If the subject is much lighter than the background, use a negative number.

Alternatively you may have a feature called 'Exposure lock' on your camera which allows you to point to the 'average' light point in your picture, press a button and then take the picture - the camera then exposes based on the light level that you pointed at.

Hope this helps.

PS. You could also try fill-in flash for the above problem.

Ed
Eddie
Somebody complimented me on my driving yesterday - they left a note on my windscreen "Parking Fine" which was nice.
KC managed with softperm lens in left eye, Intacs (2/11/07) in right eye

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 08 Nov 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks Eddie

I am looking forward to endless hours of fun as we each experiment with our new camera.

I'll experiment with the+/- button you mentioned. the camera came with a little book, and I am rather afraid that I may just have to open it and see what it says!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Mon 26 Nov 2007 6:18 am

Andrew MacLean wrote:In the right context I really love these large atchitectural plants. When they are in flower they look amazing and dramatic, and even in the autumn they frame the 'moon gate' really well. In the wrong context they just look huge and ugly!

Eeewwww!!! Sorry but I have a real, though illogical, dislike of the Gunnera genus. Might have something to do with my dislike of rhubarb which it reminds me of albeit in a much larger version.

the camera came with a little book, and I am rather afraid that I may just have to open it and see what it says!

Might be a good idea, that said I'm still to read the 115 page manual for my Samsung camera which I've had for well over a year :lol:
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 27 Nov 2007 2:41 pm

Well spotted Karl. I think that there are Gunnera Manicata. I see what you mean about rhubarb, maybe I like Gunnera because I do like rhubarb, although I'd be disinclined to chomp into one of the spiky stalks that support these leaves!

As I say, in the wrong place there is nothing more hideous than Gunnera, but around the Moon gate (slightly more than 7 ft diameter) they do look stunning.

I have carefully looked out the little book so that it will be handy when I come to read what it says.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 30 Nov 2007 12:34 pm

Andrew, what are you going to do without an integrated pedometer? I would take it back if I were you!!!!
It took me ages to work out how to do fancy things with my camera, but the best thing is to just go out and use it and then play with the software on your PC to optimise your pictures. I mostly snap away on automatic and sort it all out at home. I sometimes use motion capture for my son as he tends to defy all but the fastest shutter speeds :lol: Glad you got the blooming camera in the end :lol:
By the way, I am not botanically minded but you managed to make those plants sound like triffids or giant mutant rhubarbs!

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 02 Dec 2007 3:00 pm

It's winter now. Here are some of this weekend's pictures. You can see the beginning of snow at the top of Ben Lomond in the first. The second is a picture of Ross Priory and the third is just a wide angle pic of some of the hills and mountains around Loch Lomond.

Andrew MacLean

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Mon 03 Dec 2007 5:01 pm

Beautiful!
But how many paces is it from Ben Lomomd to the Priory, you will never know without your pedometer!

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 03 Dec 2007 7:07 pm

:D I have my pedometer, but it wouldn't be worth putting it on for so short a walk.

Our children really used to enjoy Ross Priory when I worked at the University. Nowadays, when we go back with them, they become all nostalgic and wistfully remember the days when all they could drink was Appletizer. One of them is usually driving so Appletizer would still be on the agenda for them if were not so sweet.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”