Smoking ban

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Do you agree with the smoking ban?

Poll ended at Mon 30 Jul 2007 6:27 pm

Yes
61%
No
33%
Maybe
6%

Total votes: 18

Elizabeth R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Smoking ban

Postby Elizabeth R » Mon 16 Jul 2007 6:27 pm

I think it is a good idea in theory as i am a non-smoker,but it has been taken to the extreme.People are not allowed to smoke in bus shelters anymore which i think is ridiculous. :twisted:

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby Pat A » Mon 16 Jul 2007 6:30 pm

As a very self righteous ex- 20+ Marlboro-a-day smoker (gave up 1993) - I say ban it everywhere!! (But then I would wouldn't I! :twisted: )
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Elizabeth R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Elizabeth R » Mon 16 Jul 2007 6:36 pm

Pat,you can be as self-righteous as you like.It is your right since you did the hard part in giving up. :)

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Louise Pembroke » Mon 16 Jul 2007 8:18 pm

I never used to have a problem with smokers but as it affects my asthma more I can't stand being near them. It's their choice to smoke but it's not my choice to have asthmatic lungs which react to smoke
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Marc Pritchard
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marc Pritchard » Tue 17 Jul 2007 12:37 pm

As an ex smoker I really don't believe in the ban at all, it's just as easy for non smoklers to not use facilities, until this government actually does something to help people stop then people should be allowed to smoke where ever they want.

I think Pubs should also have the choice on whether the want to be smoking or non-smoking, and smokers and non-smokers can make their choices.

If you're a smoker trying to deal with the ban read Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking.

With around a 90% success rate it beats this 30% you get with patches and Gum.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Philip K. Dick

Vincent
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Vincent » Tue 17 Jul 2007 2:36 pm

Unfortunately I smoke… Fortunately, I have other qualities... as exemple, I like good wines and good beers (in particular John Courage). It’s fully obvious to respect non-smokers and particularly children, asthmatics, people in restaurant, plane, train, submarines, public or private working area, etc... Then, people not allowed to smoke in bus and everywhere is an excellent idea and public utility.

But, as already said by Monsieur Pritchard, a Pub without tobacco is not any more a true Pub!... Let us live together with our little imperfections !:wink:
Last edited by Vincent on Wed 18 Jul 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anne B
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Anne B » Wed 18 Jul 2007 9:00 am

I am also a closet smoker, only have one now and again!!!!
I'm not to bothered by the ban because i can understand that non smokers shouldn't have to breath in our smoke.
The only problem with it is it has stopped my afternoons out with a very close friend , we would go to a lovely little bar smoke fags and drink wine while hubbys stayed at home with kids.
it was called "Saturday fags and wine afternoon" Its just not going to be the same now. We did have one of our afternoons the day before the ban came in!!!

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 20 Jul 2007 9:51 pm

Like the submarine mention. I am an ex-submariner, ex-social smoker. Its very hard to ban smoking on submarines because 3 months is a long time to go without a fag! Yet non-smokers cannot get away from the smoke, trust me on this..it's pretty foul.
We've had the smoking ban for a while in Scotland and its the best thing that happened here for some time. Before the English ban, I would go into an English pub and think "this is disgusting". The bars in Scotland are so much nicer, its such a pleasant environment since the ban, it makes you realise how disgusting it was before.
In years to come people will be amazed we put up with it for so long.

Get a life...get a dog!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Smoking ban

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 19 Aug 2007 8:33 am

Matthew

Just a word of caution; the word 'fag' does not mean 'cigarette' in every part of the world. The mind boggles a little at the way some people might have misunderstood a line like "3 months is a long time to go without a fag" as Her Majesty's sub-mariners live with the limitations of life in the murky deep!

Like others I confess to being a reformed smoker. I wholeheartedly support the smoking ban (it has been in force for longer in Scotland than in England), and found it quite uncomfortable in Spain to be in a bar where people were smoking. I see that some Scottish hospitals now have notices up saying that the grounds are 'non-smoking' zones, as well as the buildings.

It is certainly more comfortable to go into a bar in Scotland than it used to be, and trade in Glasgow bars and restaurants seems to be up since the ban.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Marc Pritchard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Smoking ban

Postby Marc Pritchard » Fri 24 Aug 2007 11:50 am

Yeah for Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood - wish I havd there sort of money so that I can flaunt laws.

Still it's cool that they just didn't care, and that greenwich council realise how much money they could potentially loose if they persued it too far.

By the way I'm an ex-smoker and hate the smell of it now and don't like to cough, but I'm also a great beleiver in a persons right. And it is the right for non smokers who don't like it to move on if it's that bothersome.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Philip K. Dick

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”