Thank God For Anime

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Marc Pritchard
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Thank God For Anime

Postby Marc Pritchard » Tue 19 Jun 2007 5:33 pm

Don't know about you guys but I find that the easiest thing to watch without any aid is animated films and programmes, problem is that in britain we just see it as something for the kids.

Now there are shows like the simsons and futurama along with some of those late night BBC things, but these are all comedy, and I watch enough of that.

So I'm using this thread a a salute to those Japanese animators who bring me films that are adult and that I can watch even when I'm pretty tired.

I thought I'd also give a few recommendations as these films can be either really good (Akira) or Really bad (legend of the overfiend)

So here's a couple of good ones to watch.

AKIRA
Appleseed
Tekken (only on VHS - Vary hard to find)
Fist of the North Star - series and original film (film on VHS only)
Street Fighter II - The Animated Movie

Here's one that's for those not wanting violence

Grave of the Fireflies - War time film about 2 young children - very sad and yet uplifting

So if you know of any others please recommend them to me as I have a feeling I'll be relying on these for many years to come.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Philip K. Dick

tommy.dean
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby tommy.dean » Tue 19 Jun 2007 6:16 pm

One of my friends brothers is into anime I'll get some recommendations of good one's next time i go up2 clayton, although i tend to avoid it as it's rough :lol:.
That's one thing I'd like to talk about with you guy's how did you avoid fights when you couldn't see? I know i got told "wot ya lukin at" a few times when i didn't even know people (chav's) were there. I've always had to be with people who knew that if i got hit it'd be very bad and protected me, having transplants young i think this is an unforeseen issue :roll:
tom

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 19 Jun 2007 7:43 pm

I've watched some manga stuff, Patlabor, Ghost in the Machine and a couple of others. You have to wonder at the artwork but they dare I say it...a bit cheesey?
Who am I to criticise, I love Bruce Lee films! :oops:

Get a life...get a dog!

Marc Pritchard
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Marc Pritchard » Wed 20 Jun 2007 12:42 pm

There's nowt wrong with bruce lee films, the guy was a legend.

Now Jackie Chan, That's cheesy
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Philip K. Dick

Keith wilson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Keith wilson » Tue 26 Jun 2007 4:57 am

there are some japanese films (that are edited soundwise, so no captions to read) that are animes. One comes to mind "Howls moving castle" which was good and another by the same guy who made it too. BOth good flicks.

Keith wilson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Keith wilson » Tue 26 Jun 2007 4:59 am

The other one was 'spirited away'. Both films by Hayao Miyazaki if you're interested. I am interested in more of his films too. Got no time to watch them tho...

Jon House
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jon House » Wed 11 Jul 2007 11:53 am

My daughter is into Studio Ghibli films and three good ones which spring to mind are: Laputa,Castle in the Sky; The Cat Returns and Princess Mononoke. They are pg rated but very good for all ages (maybe not under 8's, bit violent).

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”