i wonder...

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 20 Apr 2007 6:29 am

I have always wondered about bees and wasps hovering at windows: I think it may have to be the way they see through their complex eyes; they do not look exactly forward and they "see" multiple images. Could they be attracted by the mixture of reflection and transparency?

Moths are another matter. I have found that encouraging birds into the garden will mean that there is a good chance that any moth that ventures your way will become a quick snack for a bird. Also, we have a lot of bats that sleep in the woods near where I live. They quite like to snack on moths that are attracted to the lights in houses or on the street.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Fri 20 Apr 2007 8:07 am

Sarah
Don't know of a moth repellent - but we have , by accident, stumbled upon an excellent way of getting rid of them when in the house.

(If you are at all squeamish, don't read on :twisted: !!!)

Three years ago, we bought a tall halogen uplighter - very modern design with a flat glass "shade" and the light bulb open to the elements - this sits on top almost of the shade. That summer, we kept finding a very pungent burning smell in our living room, and we were concerned as we had recently had some electrical work done in the house too.

But then we realised that the smell only appeared in the evenings when we had the uplighter on - so we thought it must be faulty, especially as the smell used to come from that general area first of all. (You've sussed out what's coming haven't you!) And then it happened - we saw it - a very large moth flew in through the open patio door, was obviously attracted to the light and next thing a sizzling noise and one cremated moth and a plume of smoke from the top of the lamp....and then came the smell!

So, get yourself an uplighter with an exposed bulb!
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Sarah M
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sarah M » Fri 20 Apr 2007 5:57 pm

ooooooooh pat i couldnt, thats just encouraging them to find their way into my room. Urghhh hate them, thought of them gives me goosebumps, and for some strange reason i think they are gonna attack me this year.

Andrew, we have bats round here too, but they are useless.

I'll find something to keep them out....or a net to protect me when i sleep :lol:

Pat A
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Pat A » Fri 20 Apr 2007 7:57 pm

Sarah
Have a look at the lakeland catalogue - product number 6807 - Easy fit flyscreen kit. It's actually pretty effective. Forgot about that when I was telling you my story about the burning smell (which was totally true!). I can't get the "link thing to work on this forum, but the web address for the home page is

http://www.lakeland.co.uk

Look in the "here comes summer" catalogue.
I do know how you feel - I am absolutely paranoid about Daddy long legs!
Pat

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing.

Keith wilson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Keith wilson » Tue 26 Jun 2007 5:26 am

http://rocketgirl.vox.com/library/posts/tags/spiders/

This is a cool blog about a girl who had a spider in her room and what she thought of it and what she did... read it its kewl

Keith wilson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Keith wilson » Tue 26 Jun 2007 5:30 am

http://www.istl.org/05-summer/article3.html

A site that studied spiders and how they are able to walk on ceilings and stuff

What i want to know is who invented language in the first place? and who's idea was it to call these things the things they are? would it make a difference to call a spider a rose? Ore a Hospital a park? Would it make it less scary for some or not?

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Matthew_ » Tue 26 Jun 2007 8:23 am

Andrew, I don't think flies have complicated eyes but lots of simple ones?

One way of not worrying about all the spiders you are going to eat is consider the fact that you might have already ate them. Now you can sleep easy :lol:

Or alternatively just cultivate a taste for spiders. I think they are meant to be cooked though and cooked well or they are poisonous.

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”