Any modelmakers here?

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Ar-Pharazon
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Any modelmakers here?

Postby Ar-Pharazon » Thu 11 Oct 2007 11:12 pm

Matthew_ wrote:I play chess a lot but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm thick :oops: Presumably, wargaming is like chess without rules and a lot more pieces? I have some Army friends, so they would probably be quite good?

Actually wargames have a lot more pieces and a lot more rules.

Even the more streamlined games has at least as many rules as chess, even if they are unspoken because of shared experience.

I never could look far enough ahead to be any good at chess.

Matthew_
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Any modelmakers here?

Postby Matthew_ » Fri 12 Oct 2007 9:00 am

Thanks, I was suffering another of my flippancy attacks :D I think a lot of people think that about chess but computers are doing very well without looking beyond the next move. They have the advantage of being able to assess every possible move in a very short period of time. The human mind can rarely compete so we make up for it by looking at combinations of moves. Players who can project combinations several moves ahead have an advantage but the weakness is that the further you look ahead the less likely your prediction will come true. Often players like this who are seasoned players can be quickly undone by a novice who does not follow the predicted response to the veteran's opening. So do not think you cannot play chess if you cannot look ahead, it didn't do 'Deep Blue' any harm! :D

Get a life...get a dog!

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”