My hubby has been called to the Bushfires.

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Prue B
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

My hubby has been called to the Bushfires.

Postby Prue B » Thu 14 Dec 2006 10:21 pm

My husband is driving to NE Victoria, to help with the response in what we call the North East Fires. At the moment half a illion hectares, and 19 houses have burnt, along with some stock, sheds etc. My husband was phoned last night and told to get there today as part of a 4 person team form the North West to help. My hubby works in animal health, and their job is to visit all affected property holders, assess damage and what they need and where to get it for them. They use animal health, because any injured stock has to be assesed as early as possible, so animal health are fire ground trained. It is still considered dangerous, so they only allow necessary fireground staff access. So basically animal health and another fireground trained person form two man teams and visit and assess property loss. It is not a really dangerous job but they are working in areas fires are still burning and falling tree limbs etc. The good news is he should be home for christmas. He misses kindergarten gradualtion and the boys school concert, but he should be home for Christmas. I wonder how he manages to keep missing the boys concert. He has been away for 3 of 4

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Lesley Foster » Thu 14 Dec 2006 11:27 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

I wish you a Peaceful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 15 Dec 2006 7:24 am

Prue

The bush fire season in Australia is always an anxious time for us as we wonder whether our families are involved.

I know how hard it must be for your husband to miss the concert and the kindergarten events, but he is doing critically important work. I am shre that we all pray for him as he is involved in work that is important not only to local people, but also to Australia's economy and to people far further afield than you can imagine.

When he returns, Christmas will be celebrated by your family as a time of deliverance; indeed your own experience will be a metaphor for the celebration everywhere.

Yours aye

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Simon Hare
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Simon Hare » Fri 15 Dec 2006 3:10 pm

i feel for you, my parents are touring Australia this month,(7 Dec - 7 Jan) as I haven't heard from them, i'm feeling a little anxious.

Prue B
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Prue B » Sat 16 Dec 2006 11:39 pm

Bugz

Dont worry to much about your folks. It is very unlikely they are affected. The Tassie fires are affecting touristy communities but they get the tourists out early. The victorian fires are in rugged terrain aroiund the snow fields. Again tourists are gotten out and roads are closed. Some New Zealanders were hurt yesterday, but they were fireys and fires burn differently in different countries. They were not killed though, because they were trained in the best way to seek shelter and properly attired. Generally however we try to keep the visitors away from the fires.
Also Australia is a big place. I live in the Victoria and it is the smallest mainland state, but is still suffering from some of the worst fires, they are still about 600 kms from me as the crow flies.
My husbands team finished their sector yesterday, and the only privately owned animal loss was a canary, in the whole sector. He thinks about 5o sheep will need to be destroyed, but in the main people have had time to get animals to safer ground.

Simon Hare
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Simon Hare » Mon 18 Dec 2006 3:10 am

Thank You Prue, makes me feel a bit better, but i still havent heard from them, despite emails and cell phone messages. I dont understand this, my folks would never ignore me, especially as we are so far apart this xmas (my sister is in Navy enroute from Japan - England)

Their tour was to start in Victoria, not sure exactly where. also my Aunt, who they are touring with, doesnt answer her cell phone either.

A slightly less worried BugZ

Simon Hare
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Simon Hare » Tue 19 Dec 2006 7:34 am

just got news from my folks, because of the fires they changed their plans, are in Brisbane, so i can relax and more importantly, sleep!! :D :D

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 19 Dec 2006 8:24 am

Thanks for letting us know. I had been anxious for you and for family of my own (also okay).

How are the fires now? Your hubby okay Prue?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”