IT people please explain!

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

IT people please explain!

Postby GarethB » Mon 13 Mar 2006 1:03 pm

Why is it when a network goes down, I get an email to tell me the network is unavailable? :x

Why is it, when the e-mail crashes, the recorded message on IT help desk for e-mail problems asks me to send an e-mail? :x

No wonder we have computer rage :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Gareth

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 13 Mar 2006 1:06 pm

LOL....very good question!....But I would suspect that when you get those kinds of messages its PARTS of the Network / Messaging system that are unavailable.....but I do agree....very annoying!
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 13 Mar 2006 2:44 pm

Gareth

I wondered how they managed to get an eMail to me to tell me that newtwork services were not vailable. Then I concluded that "they" can do anything.

As to eMail crashing, does this happen? How would I know if it had happened? Does it happen at the server or in my Mac?

Oh dear, now you've got me becoming paranoid. 8)
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 13 Mar 2006 4:13 pm

I think the IT school of thought is the same as the eye unit in a hospital.

When I went for my grafts, I was told not to wear lenses on the day of the op. For the first graft that meant going in with the white stick and then the receptionist asked me to fill in a form I could not see regarding the eye surgery :x

Later the nurse came in with the consent form for me to read and sign :x

Told them if I could see, I would not be in for eye surgery. Asked nicely to read the forms and complete for me and I would sign them, but no, legally only I could complete and sign them.

My Mum helped me in secret :D
Gareth

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 13 Mar 2006 4:43 pm

Gareth

Been there! They still send me along the corridor in the hospital and tell me to wait in "waiting area'C'"

They have ust put drops in my eye so they KNOW I can't see. so I stride along the corridor pausing for a moment each time I hear voices and I ask, "Is this waiting area 'C'?" Sooner or later a voice answers "I hope so, mate". So I sit down and we hope together. :D

I think that the casual assumption is that although they know you can't see out of one eye, you must have brought a spare.

I love it!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 13 Mar 2006 6:14 pm

Well, from an IT perspective, how about this one when the network won't recognise your password:

Call to helpdesk...
Me: "Can you reset my password please"?
Them: "No, we don't take phone requests any more because we don't know that you are who you say you are. Please send us an email."
Me: "If I could do that, I wouldn't be asking for my password to be reset!"
Them: "Well can you get someone else to send an email?"

:?:
John

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 13 Mar 2006 6:20 pm

This is so good for my morale. :D It really is good to know that 'they' mess clever people about as well!

John, it makes me even more appreciative of the help you gavve me when my Mac rebelled against your new sortware.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Tue 14 Mar 2006 11:09 am

HAHA ... anyone watched that show on C4 IT Crowd ... that cracks me up!

I loved his answering machine, the big old tapes, recorded voice 'have you tried rebooting' or 'are you sure it's plugged in' then he has to go to the top floor to fix a computer, just to find it unplugged and gets stuck under the desk.

The funniest thing about it is, I've actually heard myself saying some of that, it's like a mental checklist you get stuck into, sheer boredom sometimes lol, just for the hell of it. The many times I had to travel between sites, to fix a computer that I was told on the phone didn't work when the cable (for the network) had just been unplugged ... so you end up really dragging your heals ... if you haven't watched IT Crowd, try it, I swear it's almost real life ... harhar ... well without the big hair!

But, I wish I could talk about some of the conversations I had when I worked at a certain leading Helpdesk, oh, not only where some of the technicians complete idiots but some of the things we were asked by people in PC trouble was unbelievable! How does, my "PC not working" get around to talking about "my partner is a lying cheat SOB!?
Only those with KC know the hidden beauty of a Christmas Tree.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 17 Mar 2006 3:19 pm

Maybe the 'partner' sabotaged the PC?
Andrew MacLean

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”