Jury Service

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Jury Service

Postby Knight » Tue 07 Mar 2006 10:25 am

Finally got around to opening my mail today ... it kinda backed up the last few days. But one, rather official looking big bold letters of a letter, ...you have been selected for jury service... got my attentions!
I find it a little creepy because now I'm thinking about the movie with, whats-her-face, Moore The Juror and Alec Baldwin - which I can't believe is over ten years old, but then again I just watched it last week when it was on TV so it's fresh. But weirder still, I have recently watched also, 12 Angry Men and Identity, so did I make this happen myself, or was I doing my homework?
Yet, when weird stuff begins to align like that, it has the propensity to concern me! So, who's trying to tell me what in a Final Destination sort of fashion? I wonder. Over-active imagination ...
The inside of my ear is itchy, do I use the car key to scratch it like normal or should I use the cotton-bud to be safe? Decisions, decisions ... and they want me to sit on a jury to determine the innocence or guilt of another individual! He just looks guilty your honour, is that reason enough? Never judge a book by its cover they say. Which, if that was the case then the Elephant Man was guilty of anything, from breathing to the looming Apocalypse, however if I continue this, and print it out, they might excuse me from jury service in the first place; reason, slightly insane! Nothing wrong in nurturing a healthy dose of slight insanity, so I'm off to commune telepathically with my God. Glory be to the bomb and the holy fallout, anyone recall what movie that's from?
Okay, I know, I watch too many movies, its only a problem if I try to leap tall building in a single bound and fall to my death in the attempt. With complete power comes complete responsibility; to throw a party every night! No, I don't hear voices emanating from the radiator, I just enjoy convoluted writing and posting random stuff while I dream up a reason to avoid jury service.
Anyone else?
Only those with KC know the hidden beauty of a Christmas Tree.

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 07 Mar 2006 11:19 am

Don't try and avoid it - it really is very interesting, when you have a case.

Most cases only last 1-2 days anyway.

On my case after day 1 the entire jury were telling each other how guilty the accused was. By lunchtime of day 2 we'd found him innoncent of all charges with a unanimous decision.

Besides, if you "get off", you're guaranteed to be called again, so it's only postponing the inevitable.
John

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Tue 07 Mar 2006 12:12 pm

I cant wait to be selected! I find it well interesting!
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Louise Pembroke » Tue 07 Mar 2006 12:48 pm

You can get out of it permanently[or are not accepted] if you have a history of mental health problems. John is right, you're more likely to have a case which only lasts a couple of days.
Director of Sci-Fi and Silliness and FRCC [Fellow of the Royal College of Cake]

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 07 Mar 2006 3:42 pm

I am afraid that due to the Clergy Disqualification Act I am forbidden to do Jury Duty or to stand for parliament, although I think I may be permitted to stand for the European or Scottish Parliaments.

I agree with the others. Turn up, sit about and you may not be 'empanelled", or, if you are, you'll probably get a short case. Very few seem to be detained on long cases.

Andrew

Ps I got a real telling off for sticking cotton buds into my ear! something to do with compacting wax against the ear drum ... (for my part, I prefer the key method, anyway)
Andrew MacLean

Prue B
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Prue B » Wed 08 Mar 2006 11:19 pm

My mother has gotten called for jury duty, the first time she did not have to do it because the day before they picked the jury for the murder by exorcism case, and the second time she was elected jury chair and it was a rape case, the jury was stood down when one of them was caught saying something they shouldn't to someone they shouldn't so she has never had to make a verdict.
I live in a town of 14000 people we dont have many interesting crimes but the woman who was exorcised to death was definitley a weird one and the case went for a couple of months.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 11 Mar 2006 6:47 pm

Knight

I think that the apparent alignment of unrelated events is called synchronisity. It can be a bit scary, but when things stay in alignment in spite of your every effort to break the run of synchronous events, then it becomes positively weird!

Let me quote another film (I don't know which) "be afraid, be very afraid ..." :D

Then you look at the random nature of events and you realize that the chances of there never being any synchronisity are so remote that you have to expect it sometimes. Then again, maybe a higher power really is at work drawing you inexorably to the jury room and ...

A
Andrew MacLean

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”