Better correction than with spectacles ?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lio
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Better correction than with spectacles ?

Postby Lio » Mon 08 Jul 2013 4:20 pm

Hi,

I am supposed to have good vision with spectacles (between 20/25 and 20/20) but I have a lot
of ghosting, plus the vision is still blurry when I wear them. For now only my left eye is keratoconic
(my right eye is fine, I have 20/20 without correction on that eye), and I can see a huge difference between
my left and my right eye when I wear my spectacles.

I work on a computer screen and it is really hard to work with such ghosting.

Do you think another type of correction could bring better results, or there is nothing we can do about it ?
I am considering :
  • A soft toric lens, but I am really unsure this could help with the ghosting issue
  • A RGP lens, but I think it's hard to bear a RGP lens in only one eye

Or maybe I should get used to it (and find another job) as my vision is going to get a lot worse in the future...

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Better correction than with spectacles ?

Postby Loopy-Lou » Mon 08 Jul 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Lio, I've worn a single RGP in one eye for many many years [and now glasses on top of that for reading].
You do adjust to having correction for one eye only, look into all types of lenses, personally, I'd go for soft if I could because they scuff the cornea less.

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Better correction than with spectacles ?

Postby jay87 » Thu 11 Jul 2013 8:39 pm

I used to wear a hard lens in my right eye and a soft lens in my left. I think it does make RGPs more bearable, there only being one in the eye! You should get used to it after a few months. There are hybrids or soft lenses for KC you could try aswell. Conventional soft Torics aren't designed to correct irregular astigmatism found in Keratoconus so you may have to try a soft lens for irregular corneas. It all depends on your KC really so best to ask an option. Im sure contacts will reduce your ghosting much more than glasses. They certainly do with me. There's nothing wrong with you insisting on a pair of RGPs either I guess, if you don't want to feel lop sided. Then your better eye may be 20/10 :-)

Good luck
Jake 8)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”