In pain

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jayboi2005 » Fri 13 Jan 2006 4:49 pm

STITCHES??

Maybe im wrong, but im thinking you had a cornea transplant? and they used stitches? If im right i cont imagine having stiches in my eyes.

Good Luck.

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Fri 13 Jan 2006 5:16 pm

Jay,

Yes, the graft does involve stitches, but don't worry about it - they are incredibly fine, much thinner than the usual sort), and they are usually put in whilst you are under a general anaesthetic.

You don't feel them after the first couple of days though, and they rarely break, although this is of little consolation to Sweet.
John

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Fri 13 Jan 2006 5:18 pm

Hi Claire,

How did you get on with the consultant today? Was it a broken stitch? I certainly hope you're not in any pain any more.

Thinking of you.

John

Per
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Per » Fri 13 Jan 2006 6:45 pm

Hi Sweet.

Hope your eye is better now. It is irritating in so many ways when you get this feeling of:"dust below a hard lens". I had this some days ago and it has now disappeared.

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Paul Osborne » Fri 13 Jan 2006 8:26 pm

Claire,

Hope it went well for you and that the eye is no longer hurting.

I won't ask you to let is know how it went cos somehow I have a feeling that you will tell us anyway.

Take care

Paul

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Sat 14 Jan 2006 2:23 am

Hehe, yes i am going to tell you! LOL! :P

I went to my appointment and was really not happy when he said that everything was loose and that it looked like i had been poked in the eye! Moreso because it didn't just affect the top stitches but the ones underneath as well. I was thinking that as i haven't been poked or prodded and have been so dam careful and don't lift and carry heavy things that it must be with me removing eye make up and so have decided to stop wearing any for the time being.

I had to have five stitches removed :oops: Not good at all, as three of them were deep ones. But i left pain free and thinking that it was all ok if i was careful. But then the worst happened, which usually does on Friday 13th, and i felt a sharp twang about five hours later and then another one snapped and i was in terrible pain. :roll:

Didn't know what to do, left it an hour and then phoned John to ask for some advice. Who then bless him offered to take me to Moorfields 'A & E' where they removed another stitch. :?

So now i don't seem to have many left :( Really worried now that things are going so wrong here. Am going to have to be so dam careful, and as i am moving soon am going to have to get some friends to help me as i have some furniture i need to take with me.

Am feeling a little more positive though, hehe, had some cheery conversation there and back! John and friend thanks for the lift, i did mean to offer you some petrol money, but then got so excited to be back in one piece and pain free that i forgot to say until you had driven off! Please let me know, or i owe you a drink at the next social :wink:

Thanks for all the supportive posts here, nice to know i'm thought of, and that some even miss me when i'm not around! LOL!!

Love you loads, Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Sat 14 Jan 2006 4:10 am

I'm just glad I managed to persuade you to go :roll: (even if it did mean taking you there myself :oops: )

Still, it's really good news that things got sorted out, and you're much less likely to have further complications the sooner the stitch was removed. After all, irritation causes pain, pain causes inflammation, and rejection could lead down that path somewhere.

Anyway, for reference, it is useful for us all to know that at Moorfields at 1am:
  • You have to rattle the door to get security to let you in to the hospital
  • There is no queue at A&E
  • There is a doctor on duty who is skilled enough to remove a broken stitch.
John

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 14 Jan 2006 9:04 am

Sweet

Hope things have settled down now.

andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jayboi2005 » Sat 14 Jan 2006 11:16 am

hope it settles down for you. This is all in your eye? Its rather daunting when imthinking about it, although i wouldnt say no to a cornea transplant myself. And im not that bad but if i thought it would help i would have it, how long is the list for these things? From the date they can say you can have one, how long have you waited? Cheers Jay

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 14 Jan 2006 11:35 am

Sweet

Have you foned the 24 hour line at C4S?

If I was you I would do this now......regardless of what happened.......just to be on the safe side

Speak to SD or his associate and they will brief you on what to do now/next....after having the stich removed....

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Return to “General Discussion Forum”