Graft tomorrow is off

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Graft tomorrow is off

Postby ChrisK » Wed 11 Jan 2006 11:25 am

Hiya all.

If anyone recalls my pre operation medical turned up a problem on my ECG. Sadly further tests have revealed the problems were not related to an increased heart rate due to the nurses hands running across my body. :wink:

Rather my early diagnosis is that I have Wolfe Parkinson White syndrome. As such until further tests, my heart consultant has today cancelled my operation due to risk.

I must say it has been a rather hectic couple of days as since monday my operation has been on and off 5 times. The anaesthetist and surgeon where happy to go ahead based on my ECG results but my GP and Heart consultant were not.

On a good note and something I never thought I'd hear myself say, having KC could turn out to be a blessing as it may have actually saved my life. :lol:

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 11 Jan 2006 1:00 pm

ChrisK

Thank goodness for routine, pre-surgical ECG! Are they planning a radio frequency catheter ablation to destroy your accessory electrical pathway?

All the best

Jay has a tag that I like as part of his on line signature. You amply demonstrate the truth of it!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Wed 11 Jan 2006 1:22 pm

ChrisK

Thats a story anda half!..KC saving your life!....What are the plans now?....as in when do they think you will be ready for the Graft?

J
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Wed 11 Jan 2006 9:43 pm

Andrew,

I am not sure of what is happening at the moment as my heart consultant is making me an appointment for more tests. I have a fantastic GP though in that he is very thorough and talks you through everything. I have thus been informed that my condition may be either controlled by drugs or as you mention an ablation.

I'll just have to wait and see but for the time being I am not to exert myself and if I suffer a racing heart beat to go straight to casualty.

Jay....

Well my head didn't want my operation cancelled but my heart did :wink: but seeing as it now has been I have been given a three month time frame to have my heart sorted out.

If it is sorted quicker I am to recontact the hospital and see if I can have my appointment brought forward.

Thanks for the concern.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 12 Jan 2006 8:44 am

ChrisK

All the best with the coming weeks as your medical team sets out the options. I see what you say in your respnse to jay, and recognize that it is usually important to remember that when head and heart are in conflict, heart usually has the trump card! :wink:

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Thu 12 Jan 2006 10:11 am

Chris

So sorry to hear that it has been cancelled, but as you say this has actually been a very good thing for you in that you have found out about a pre existing condition that might have gone years undetected. Hehe, had to laugh about the nurses joke though!!! :twisted: :P

This is a condition we don't often see in 'A & E' and normally when we do it is a first presentation in that the patient didn't know they had it. My advice as you say is that if your heart races or you get palpatations to go to cas and get it checked out. Do tell the nurses in triage what condition you have (as i'm sure you will!) as they will get someone senior to come and see you and monitor you quickly.

A lot of patients with this condition find it well controlled with drugs, so please hang on in there and when the time is right you will get the op you went for!!!!! :wink:

Take care, Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

ChrisK
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby ChrisK » Thu 12 Jan 2006 3:21 pm

Thank you.

I'm certain I'll be fine and don't have any worries.

Of course it is a slight annoyance that if I were able to have my operation I would have been home in bed now and it'd all be over.

However, if that had been the case I wouldn't have been posting here and I would have missed spending time with you all. So I should think myself lucky :wink:

But if I have any palpatations I'll be rushing (or ambling very quickly as I am not to exert myself :wink: ) to the nearest hospital.

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Thu 12 Jan 2006 7:25 pm

Hehehe that is a very positive way of looking at it! :D Glad you are still smiling about it all. It won't be long now and you will be posting here that you have had surgery and it was well worth the wait!

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Graft tomorrow is off

Postby Paul Osborne » Fri 13 Jan 2006 4:21 pm

ChrisK wrote:Hiya all.

Rather my early diagnosis is that I have Wolfe Parkinson White syndrome. As such until further tests, my heart consultant has today cancelled my operation due to risk.

Blimey Chris.

Glad that they found out what was going on for you and really hope that they can sort you out.

If you could keep them occupied with the ticker for a couple of months that would be great as it moves me up DeCocks list a tad quicker! :-)

Take care

Paul

jayboi2005
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby jayboi2005 » Fri 13 Jan 2006 4:46 pm

im all new to this, so when you say graft i presume you mean a cornea transplant? :D

Return to “General Discussion Forum”