KC and Driving

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Paul Osborne » Mon 09 Jan 2006 1:26 pm

Gareth,

I have pondered a tint, but am going to pass on it as I have the same trouble in daylight with my sunglasses so can't see that it will make a real difference to me.

Checking with my optician has confirmed that the distortion I have is going to be more obvious with bright spots so its more noticeable at night or in the day with sunglasses to reduce general glare.

Paul

David Bennett
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby David Bennett » Mon 09 Jan 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks Andrew! Good links there.
I notice that NI has adopted a new requirement of 6/9 good eye -6/12 poor eye for NEW drivers but keeps the UK mainland requirements for existing drivers.
I am concerned somewhat as the UNAIDED vison of new drivers is minimum 3/60 which means that if you are -8.00 or so when first applying then you may not pass the requirement. That's daft in my mind!

David
David Bennett Bsc(Hons) MCOptom
The Courtyard
28 The ropewalk
Nottingham NG1 5DW
T: 0115 947 6309
F: 0115 958 6971

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 09 Jan 2006 1:33 pm

David, does this bring NI driving reqquirements into line with the UK requirements for HGV licenses? I know that there is a minimum sight requirement for HGV drivers that does not apply to ordinary licenses, and reckoned some time ago that it was a good thing I had never become a lorry driver!
Andrew MacLean

Emma_Marie
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Emma_Marie » Mon 09 Jan 2006 10:01 pm

i've declared my KC 2 the DVLNI so they've sent me a form to fill out which has to be signed and dated by my optician so ive an appointment on sat! my consultant is on holidays (the 1 who said i could drive!) so im hopin that my vision hasnt changed! they're looking for my vision with lenses and without. If my vision is really bad (sorry im dnt understand the technical words!) unaided will that mean that i wont get the licence?
AHHHHHH gotta go, have an exam at half 9 in the morning on Modern Political Thought, the joys of being a student!

Emma

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 10 Jan 2006 7:34 am

Emma

How did your exam go?

All I can say about the situation with your license if your uncorrected vision is not good is that, from their website, the DVLNI seems to operate a different standard to the DVLA in the rest of the UK, but I can make neither head nor tail of the standard they do apply.

Your consultnt Ophthalmologist or even Optometrist would be able to advise you. You could certainly help others by continuing to post your unfoldingexperience on this site.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

David Bennett
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby David Bennett » Tue 10 Jan 2006 1:26 pm

Andrew,

The Answer to your question is I don't really know! They are as far as I can see broadly similar with a few minor changes. If there is an NI optom on the board then they may be able to shed more light. As NI is effectively in law an English province with a few minor detail changes - I choose my words very carefully indeed - as far as driving situation is concerned then I would expect things to be broadly similar.

Best

David

Ps Any NI colleagues out there?
David Bennett Bsc(Hons) MCOptom

The Courtyard

28 The ropewalk

Nottingham NG1 5DW

T: 0115 947 6309

F: 0115 958 6971

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 10 Jan 2006 3:35 pm

The more we are the same, the greater our differences!
A
Andrew MacLean

Helen Scholar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Helen Scholar » Tue 10 Jan 2006 4:47 pm

Logged in for the first time for a while to ask for other's experiences on just this issue for my son who is almost 17 and wants to apply for a provisional licence. In the end we rang the hospital and were advised that he should declare his KC but that this should not prevent him driving provided his corrected vision meets the requirements.

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Tue 10 Jan 2006 4:56 pm

Helen,

Yes, the question on the DVLA form is something like 'is there or has there ever been anything which affects the sight IN BOTH EYES'?

So, if your son has only got KC in one eye then you don't need to declare it; if he does, then the legal situatuon is that he must declare it.

Being able to drive is now such a profound right-of-passage, especially for those living outside the major conurbations, that we can't imagine life without it. I'm sure that if the DVLA make further enquiries and are not happy, that your son will pull out all the stops to get that little bit better vision to satisfy the DVLA. I know I did!

All the best,
John

Emma_Marie
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Emma_Marie » Tue 10 Jan 2006 5:07 pm

Hey!

Well the exam went ok 2day, could have been alot worse! im on my 28th hour of being awake - pulled an all nighter last nite and think ive been wearin my contacts for bout 17 of them hrs! oops! :wink: Gna give myself a rest 4 a couple of hours then headin out 2nite! More exams next week :cry:

Il keep everyone updated on how i get on!
Emma

Return to “General Discussion Forum”