Graft failure

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Lisa Nixon » Mon 19 Dec 2005 12:07 pm

Sorry to hear about you needing another graft John, but sure it will go well, thinking of you. :D

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Graft failure

Postby Louise Pembroke » Fri 30 Dec 2005 12:00 pm

John, what's the success rate for regrafts?

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Sat 31 Dec 2005 12:01 pm

Hello Louise,

To be honest, I don't know. I suspect though that the answer would be "that depends on why the regraft was required."

Maybe I'm being unduly optimistic, but I would think that a graft that was well and truly rejected with blood vessels growing into it would be more difficult to replace than one which had just "died".

I'm seeing my consultant on Thursday though, and I'll be sure to ask her this question.
John

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

John

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sat 31 Dec 2005 1:46 pm

That sounds right to me John, I would guess that a failed graft would be a better bet to replace than a fully rejected one with blood vessels growing in. Might be worth asking her about survival rates. Do you have any vision in this eye? Would you be worse off if the regraft rejected or failed? Will they tissue type this one? [as I understood it, this can be done though it's not typically done with first grafts]. Would really like to know your progress John, am rooting for you!

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 31 Dec 2005 3:37 pm

Hi

This is a very good site which gets updated on Corneal Graft rejection, drugs used, and the types etc...

Just thought Id post it here as I found it extremely valuable when trying to understand the different types and what happens

For those having/had a graft give it a read and I am certain you will find it valuable

http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic90.htm
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Rejection

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sat 31 Dec 2005 4:57 pm

Thanks Jayuk, seriously good article.
It mentioned the subconjunctival injection, I had that during an episode of rejection. For anyone who might need that I can reassure you that the injection itself doesn't hurt, they put in anaesthetic eye drops first. I was very nervous and the nurse kindly put in extra drops just to make me feel better. I felt squirmish because of where it was going [under the eyeball & lower lid], so I held a friends hands tightly whilst it was done. It's over very quickly.
A few minutes afterwards there is discomfort, a hot burning type of pain which does last a few hours but they can give you painkillers and it does go away.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 31 Dec 2005 5:05 pm

Excellent! Im glad you found it of use

I liked the way it informs us of the three types and levels of rejection and what to look out for.....along with the lots of other info!...worth the whole read!

That injection does sound painful when awake!. I had mine when I was under during the graft, and sadly ruptured a vessel!...but I could still feel that something had been injected in the eye...wierd sensation!!
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Louise Pembroke
Champion
Champion

Jay

Postby Louise Pembroke » Sat 31 Dec 2005 5:40 pm

Weird indeed, it's just not a place you want anything sharp and pointy! Interesting that you had it done whilst under for your graft, now I wonder why that was done. Was it done as a preventative measure, or were you having a regraft?

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Sat 31 Dec 2005 6:16 pm

Was done as a preventative......different surgeons do different things.....my surgeon has his own way of performing and providing post transplant care......even down to his suture method.

Quite interesting when you see how differently surgeons perform the whole procedure and after care.

its a funni old game!

(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Sat 31 Dec 2005 7:06 pm

Jay, i had to ask the Reg in work to look at my eye for me the other day, as i was convinced that i had a loose stitch, and as i didn't feel the last one wanted to make sure. It turns out that one does look a little different and i need to get it checked out soon, but he commented on how nice and neat the stitches looked and how he hadn't seen any like that before! Was just wondering, as you have a full graft, did you have individual stitches as well? Also are you still going to go ahead with a DALK on the other eye?

Talk soon!

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Return to “General Discussion Forum”