Manchester Conference

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Pat Chinnery
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Manchester Conference

Postby Pat Chinnery » Mon 20 May 2013 12:01 pm

Hi All
I have decided to make a weekend of it and going up on Friday morning, 09:20 Virgin train from Euston. Returning South on Sunday late afternoon, 17:35 from Manchester. I have booked myself into the Arora Hotel for the two nights near to where we are meeting. Is anybody else going to be around Friday or Saturday night and might fancy to meet up for a few drinks etc please let me know.
Pat

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Manchester Conference

Postby Steven Williams » Fri 24 May 2013 9:37 am

Hi Pat,

I am hoping to able to go as`I've never attended the past bi-annual KC conferences run by the group usually in London.

Thats a remarkable financial and time commitment you are making to supporting the event. I hope that you find it worthwile.

I live in North Lancashire about 75 miles away and will be either travelling by train or car on the Saturday.

Having supported the long dormant Manchester KC group in the past and enjoyed the interaction between like minded KCers I think your suggestion of an informal social go together afterwards is an excellent suggestion and way forward. So yes I would like to meet up with you in a suitable venue for some KC chat and meet up in reality rather than virtual reality on a website forum.

The negative response you have received on this thread from my POV is disappointing and concern. Are not many attending? The group and its members imho should be supporting this event especially if the expert speakers are giving up their time free of charge.

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Tue 28 May 2013 6:46 pm

I'll be there but just for the day.

I found the last conference invaluable. Not only listening to the presenters and being able to ask questions but also the informal discussions with other KCers over coffee and lunch.

Lia

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Sun 02 Jun 2013 6:06 pm

myself n baby space_cadet will be there :) we will be getting the train from leeds - no clue which yet x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby james mckinlay » Wed 05 Jun 2013 10:05 pm

i will be there and would have enjoyed the chance to meet up after the conference but sadly im on the 17.15 train back upto glasgow.

as for anyone saying the past events have been invaluable, it is your point of view but at the same time a lot of people put a lof time and effort into making sure the conference is provided and also sacrifice their own spare time.

lets all stick together as members and help continue what this has always been a valuable tool for people to communicate. and also learn more about our condition.
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Steven Williams » Sat 15 Jun 2013 9:35 pm

Just got back home on the train from an excellent and successful conference - cant believe how quickly the day passed by. Particularly got alot out of discussions with other KCers.

Well done and many thanks to those responsible for making it happen and helping on the day and to the four professional speakers. Look forward to the release of the DVD.

Good refreshments and the info packs notebook, pen etc and delegate namebadge was an impressive touch.

Sorry I never met up with you Pat . A social gathering afterwards would have been a perfect end to a perfect day :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDirNhQ1Gq0

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby james mckinlay » Sun 16 Jun 2013 12:06 am

so sorry everyone i had my train booked. but sadly on friday night my other health problems got the better of me. i suffer from bipolar disorder and this was really at its worst for me. so i chose not to travel from glasgow as i couldnt promise myself that i would be well enough. i was having panic attacks all the time and was feeling really faint.

i hope everyone enjoyed the conference and i will be there at next years i hope.

all the best to everyone
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Sun 16 Jun 2013 2:43 pm

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments about the conference, I had a brilliant day!

Lia, invaluable is a lovely positive word, thanks! I get a lot out of talking with other people too.

Thank you to the four speakers who gave excellent presentations, I learned so much! It was good to actually have from a professional the truth about donating blood, which is that you CAN'T if you have had a graft.

Thanks also to all the committee who worked hard in making the event happen. I know that I have been distant lately for health reasons, but am going to be around more now.

James, hoping you are feeling better now? I know exactly where you are coming from and can fully understand you not being able to go. Please know that we are thinking of you and will hopefully have the DVD out soon so you can watch that. If you need to talk anytime, I am here.

Be gentle with yourselves and stay special, love Claire Xxx
Sweet X x X

space_cadet
Champion
Champion

Postby space_cadet » Sun 16 Jun 2013 8:55 pm

It was lovely to put blurey distorted faces to forum / twitter / facebook people.

Thanks for all the compliments on baby space cadet, she is asleep at the moment,

I managed to get us on the wrong train coming home - oopsie!!

Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Return to “General Discussion Forum”