Anti glare screens

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

cath_317
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Anti glare screens

Postby cath_317 » Fri 05 Apr 2013 9:23 am

Hi,

I just wondered if anybody has used an anti-glare screen for computers and if they work? I've found that light has started to bother me a lot more recently, so much so that looking at a computer screen hurts and causes my eyes to water. I've turned down the brightness but it's still difficult to focus sometimes. Since I work in an office and use a computer all day this isn't great. So just wondered if anyone's used them, do they make a noticable difference and any recommendations of which one to get?

Thanks
Cath

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Anti glare screens

Postby GarethB » Fri 05 Apr 2013 10:32 am

Hi Cath

I have used them but found with flat screen monitors you need to do more than change the brightness. With most it is possible to cusomise the settings so I also change the contracst and the red / green / blue ratio to getn something that is more comfortable. Most of my settings are approximatly 50% of the manufacturers default and I consider myself as someone who no longer has light sensitivity issues with the neses that I now wear.

Before leaping straight in to anti glare screens, get your occupational health person to conduct a Display Screen Equipment assessment, it is manadatry for any company employing more than 5 people and if you use a computer for more than 30% of your normal work. The assessment looks at how the computer equipment is set up on your desk, the surroundings such as light, the softweare and computing activities that you do and so on.

This way any corrective action you take is less likely to result in causing secondary issues.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”