the conference in manchester

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

the conference in manchester

Postby james mckinlay » Wed 27 Mar 2013 1:20 am

hi just wondering if the forms for the conference are available or how do i book a place im coming from scotland and dont want to book travel incase there are no places left.

thanks

james
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: the conference in manchester

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 27 Mar 2013 10:42 am

Hi James,
Good to see you here again! We're still finalising details of the conference, so booking forms haven't gone out to members yet. I hope to get them out in mid April, which I hope will still give people enough time to make travel arrangements if they're coming from a distance.
So please bear with us!
Anne

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Wed 27 Mar 2013 7:41 pm

manc isfairly easy for me to get to, dependant on where I may eve bring ickle spacey one x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby james mckinlay » Wed 27 Mar 2013 11:52 pm

hi anne thanks for reply.

i was wondering if it would be a good idea to book my train travel now as it is les sthan £50 return for me and i would be travelling down to manchester from glasgow.

and with my white stick i need to give national rail notice when i book my journey for assistance to the platform at glasgow and back from manchester.

i understand if it is not possible to reserve a space right now. if not i could just make a day of it in manchester.

thanks again

and sorry for being a pest

james
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Thu 28 Mar 2013 9:27 am

hi James as a fellow VIP it bugs me when train stations tell people to book assistence, I did some mystery shopping for national rail whilst pregnant and it is a MYTH that we need to book assistence, best advice is to get to the station 30min before your planned train n find the assistence people, if they have a go at you for not booking simply point out as a disabled person you have as much right to independant travel as the next person you just require a lil help to ensure you are on the right train. It is unacceptable to expect a disabled person to forward plan their travels as makes being disabled incredibly disabling to have to plan ahead of time where n when you will be somewher,

feel free to message me if you need anything
Lea x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby james mckinlay » Sat 30 Mar 2013 12:04 am

hi space cadet

thankyou for your input.

its good to know that im not the only one that has hassle from trainstation staff when assistance isnt booked in advance.

last time i just asked for the platform number as i can normally find my way to the correct platform however this time coming home from a concert i was told yeah thats your train only to hear on the train that it wasnt mines.

because i dont have a guide dog and i wear glasses i sometimes wonder if they think its just a redesigned walking stick i use lol.

i am fairly flexible and fit i would love to use my old kickboxing legs and jump the ticket gate though i would end up on my behind with my astigmatism lol.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”