KC – ia debilitating illness and a progressive disease?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

KC – ia debilitating illness and a progressive disease?

Postby Loopy-Lou » Tue 26 Mar 2013 1:01 pm

Emotional side of KC and coping - if a permanent thread were started on any board I'd be happy to keep a regular eye on it as a member and the new counsellors at Moorfields might find it useful in their work to occasionally read, if it's in one place that makes it more accessible

james mckinlay
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: KC – ia debilitating illness and a progressive disease?

Postby james mckinlay » Wed 27 Mar 2013 1:18 am

i would say it affects people hugely but we all know that as k.c sufferers.

i have had 2 transplants one in each eye my left one was amazing to start with then sadly i had a really bad rejection episode followed by another one. this has left me with almost no sight in that eye i can see light and dark and a huge big blur.

my righ eye has been amazing i was able to do what i wanted and it was great to be able to go out and not worry about my sight. but sadly now the way my sight would be better is by contacts and at the moment the only ones for me are the solid ones that look like a ten pence coin.

now i rely on my trusty white stick to get me around places but i dont let it get to me ( well sometimes it gets a bit too much for me but i also have bipolar disorder so that is another huge impact on my life. mainy because i want to do anything i want and i cant accept that sometimes it isnt possible.

in the past i have taken up kickboxing and was really good at that to the point of fighting for scotland in the european championships.

you will always find me at concerts and music festivals well t in the park anyway.

but the condition doesnt just impact us it has a huge impact on our families it must be hard on them at times.

but if i was to choose getting the grafts or leaving them then its easy i would jump at the chance to get them.
anyways all you KC people get out there and try things you are scared to do it will amaze you the impact it has on your self esteem and confidence.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”