semi sclerale lens

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

dalbeath
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

semi sclerale lens

Postby dalbeath » Sat 02 Feb 2013 10:50 pm

So I have a new optician - long story ....
He has given me a semi sclerale lens and when wearing it I get 2 lines below 20/20 vision - totally amazing, not had that since pre KC

Problem is ...getting the begger in without an air bubble

Any advice? I've tried heating up the saline so it's not as cold and such a shock when it hits my eye - do other people just use saline? How do you avoid bubbles?

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: semi sclerale lens

Postby jay87 » Sun 03 Feb 2013 9:30 pm

I have never worn sclerals myself so probably not the best person to comment, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

People with sclerals usually fill the lenses to the brim with saline or eye drops, and face their head down into the flat lens, so as to minimise bubbles. there is certainly a technique to it!
Jake 8)

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Sun 03 Feb 2013 9:36 pm

Here's some demonstration videos, I did have one from so2clears semi scleral website but it seems to be down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFrmCG6I ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGhUpqF ... ata_player
Jake 8)

dalbeath
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby dalbeath » Sun 03 Feb 2013 10:07 pm

So, the problem with Saline is that it only has to touch the eyelid or you tilt the lens and it runs out
Does anyone ever use lubricating drops or anything more viscous than saline?

Also in the first video, where do you get a plunger from?

I can get them in but struggle to not get a bubble and if you get a bubble they hurt like hell after a few mins, without a bubble I can wear them all day

alan_mcghie

Postby alan_mcghie » Mon 04 Feb 2013 11:33 am

Hey, I know the answer to this one ( I also wear semi scleral SoClear lens)
Recommend Clinitas Soothe, fill the lens with 2-3 drops prior to insertion. It's preservative free & works really well.
Quite a lot of opticians sell it, but if it works for you then order it online & save yourself a few quid.

Jugger
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jugger » Mon 04 Feb 2013 2:39 pm

Dalbeath,

I too have recently started wearing semi sclerals. Regarding the air bubbles, when I first got them I too suffered from them, but then my optician said that was caused because the fit wasn’t correct. She adjusted the fit, and now I don’t suffer from them and have no need for any fill of any sort before insertion.

As for something more viscous, you can try Systane Ultra eye drops. They can be a buggar to find off the shelf, but if you go to a decent-good pharmacy, they can order them in for you. They range from £12-15. If you find that they work for you, then you can ask your doctor and get them on prescription.

Plungers, you can buy off Amazon (cost circa £2) or a high street pharmacy/ opticians. A note of caution though - they are not as easy to use as videos make out though.

Jugger

Whiteshepherd
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Whiteshepherd » Sun 14 Apr 2013 8:26 am

Use one of the insertion tools with a hole in the bottom and then fill the lens with saline. Then look straight down and keep both eyes open and fixate on a spot and it should go in. I sometimes get twitchy and have to do it twice and when there is a bubble the vision is worse than with a full lens. Good luck.

Brad

sophietw
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby sophietw » Sun 14 Apr 2013 7:01 pm

Hia,

I fit a lot of scleral and semi-scleral lenses, and I agree bubbles can be a pain in the bum for many new wearers! But no doubt you will get over that bump and crack it soon. The tips already given are spot on. To summarise proper insertion technique:

- Make sure the lens is filled to the very brim, so that it makes a meniscus.
- You can partially or fill completely with a more viscous drop like Clinitas Soothe, or anything unpreserved that doesn't irritate your eye. If you partially fill, top up with unpreserved saline.
- Make sure your head is completely down, so your nose is pointing at the floor. This is further than you think. Have the mirror flat on the surface in front of you if it helps.
- Use a 'DMV' lens inserter. They can be hard to find, but your optician can probably obtain them for you, or you can get them from here: http://www.lenscases.co.uk/scleral-cont ... p-313.html. If you snip the tip off you can look down the black hole for better aim when applying the lens.
- Make sure your lids are as wide apart as you can get them, by making them dry so you can get a good grip, and holding them right at the base of your lashes.

Best of luck!

Sophie
email: sophie@brightoncontactlensclinic.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”