I Got it in!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

I Got it in!

Postby Anna Mason » Fri 19 Mar 2004 7:32 pm

I had my first attempt at putting my scleral in when I got home tonight. After a few vain attempts and a torrent of saline I got it in (without an air bubble). I am now pacing up and down (ok not right now I'm typing this in)trying not to fidddle and trying to get used to it. Whats the best estimate for being able to put it in and forget about it days or weeks.
Do you think pacing up and down is better than hopping on one foot? :shock:

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

I got mine in too

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 21 Mar 2004 5:38 pm

Well done!

My own approach is neither hopping on one foot nor pacing up and down. I normally screw my eyes shut as tightly as I can and stand quivvering before I dare to open my eyes. I think I'm afraid the scleral will ping out the same way as my RGP corneals used to: of course it won't.

Let us know how pacing up and down works for you!

Then let us know about how you take the lens out again: a skill I have yet to master!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Insertion update

Postby Anna Mason » Sun 21 Mar 2004 7:28 pm

:shock: Thanks Andrew.
This is a quick History of the story so far.
Friday night was awful I sat in front of the telly grinding my teeth and couldnt wait for bedtime.
I use the little rubber thingy to take it out and had no problem.
Saturday I got up early and got it straight in and was much happier than Friday. Wore it for 4 hours and only took it out cos I am building up my time.
Sunday got up early and put my old lenses in so I could ride my horse out (horseback is no place to find you have a problem) this was a mistake as i took them out when I got home and had a break and then put my scleral in to go to my mums. I struggled for a few hours and then took it out.

I think it works best if I put it in first thing and it doesnt help that I have hay fever starting.
So far I have had no problem removing it.
Just in case you read this and love food. My mum who is 80 made her little girl (me who is 49) Roast Turkey and Apple Pie and told my dad not to tease me because I was breaking in my new contact lens.

Philip N

Postby Philip N » Sun 21 Mar 2004 10:08 pm

What saline are you using with them? I have been given a bunch of Ami-dose but can't believe I'm going to have to waste so much by using once and throwing the rest away.

I know Ami-dose doesn't contain preservative, but surely it will last a day or two?

Regards,

Philip.

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Saline

Postby Anna Mason » Sun 21 Mar 2004 10:44 pm

Hi Phil,
I have been given some stuff to start with and had Ami Dose or Stereopod ? recommended. I dont know about its use is it really a £1 a throw ?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

I got mine in too

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 22 Mar 2004 10:07 am

I don't have a little rubber thing to help take my scleral out. at first I found it extremely difficult to take out, but now I just tuck my upper eyelid under the top edge and out it pops into my waiting hand.

Let your elderly mother cook you as many turkey dinners as she wants!

Philip ...

Why are you not able to use ani-dose?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Amidose

Postby Anna Mason » Mon 22 Mar 2004 10:46 am

Hi Andrew, I cant wait to try your way I am always frightened the sucked will pull my eye out too!

Andrew Bosanquet

Postby Andrew Bosanquet » Mon 22 Mar 2004 12:06 pm

Hi to those struggling to take sclerals out.
I had them in the 1960s for a few years and when I received my new ones December, I must have remembered what to do. I would go with Andrew Maclean's advice. In a little bit more detail:

Place a finger on the edge of the skin of your eyelid near your nose, move your eylid up at the same time that you look well down. You will feel (through your eyelid) your finger move over the edge of the lens. Now slide your finger across your eyelid above the lens and it should pop out. If not, pause at the middle and wait for the suction to break and/or apply a little pressure to your eye above the lens.
This involves nothing uncomfortable. You do not put your finger in your eye at all, only on your eyelid.
Perhaps we could all agree the wording of "How to get a scleral lens out" and add it to the website?

With respect to Ami-dose, I have been successfully using one tube for about 10 days with no sign of problems. My suggestion would be :
Be careful not to touch or contaminate the nozzel. If a tube is near the end or might have been compromised, discard it.

Small print: These are just my experiences.

Andrew
Diagnosed 1962. Sclerals > corneals > GP corneals > Rose K > back to sclerals (and very pleased). Sight 6/6 or better.

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 22 Mar 2004 12:35 pm

Hi Andrew, thanks for your comments.

Like Anna, I use the little rubber sucker to remove my lens.

With me, the suction of the lens to the eye is very strong. I've never managed to succeed with your method unless there was a large bubble under the lens :( .

I find that the rubber sucker is best if you look hard at your chin, with the eye right down, and use the sucker nearer the top edge of the lens - certainly not dead-centre.

The sucker then seems to hinge the lens out, and you don't have to pull very hard. I find that if I am pulling hard, the top edge of the lens is usually under the top lid still - look down further and/or pull the eyelid further up.

As to amidose, I tend to use one "tube" for about 3-4 days. It's certainly not too expensive then!
John

Anna Mason
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Lens Removal

Postby Anna Mason » Mon 22 Mar 2004 7:49 pm

Thank you for the info boys I tried the earlier suggestion and went back to the sucker.
My History of Contact lenses is:-
Diagnosed 1965 corneals>corneals with a hole drilled in them>boston lens>something else corneal>1994 Softperm.... will never forget that year the softperm gave me the sight to drive> 2003 Rose K apologies to those who tried but for me I had one for my left eye and it was pants>March 2004 scleral for my left eye.... and here I be!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”