10 years on.....

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

10 years on.....

Postby Rob Armstrong » Tue 08 Jan 2013 1:34 pm

Hi all, haven't been on here for ages but a little reminder popped up on my computer this morning saying it's been ten years today since I had my graft! scary.

Once all the stitches were removed things have settled and I haven't experienced any further problems. I've had the same glasses prescription for about 5 years now and only go the hospital for an annual check up.

I did look into getting Collagen cross-linking done on my left eye a couple of summers ago, but apparently my Keratoconus is too advanced for me to be a suitable candidate (if only that was an option back then!) :-(

I also gave some of the newer generation soft lenses a go but for the amount of difference it made to my vision it wasn't worth the hassle.

Those were both an attempt to get the vision more balanced between my two eyes so I can see 3D films in actual 3D and in a vain attempt to be able to drive, as well as improve day to day stuff like being able to see the left side of my face more clearly when shaving and not getting caught out occasionally when I misjudge the height of a step down etc.

I've resisted getting a graft on my left eye so far and as I cope OK with my glasses I've turned down the offer of surgery to reduce the astigmatism in my right (grafted) eye.

My distance vision isn't great but my near vision is OK (about 6/9) with my glasses so I hold down a job etc and live day to day without any major problems.

Anyway, just been reflecting on it all this morning.Thinks look very different now than they did back then (no pun intended).

So if anyone reads this who's currently going through recovering from a graft, I just wanted to let you know it will all settle down eventually! And believe it or not you can get a sense of normality to your life again!

Be patient, it'll all be worth it.

Good luck!

Rob.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: 10 years on.....

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 08 Jan 2013 2:33 pm

Great to see you here again, Rob, and happy 10th birthday to your transplant! Thank you, too, for your positive post which I'm sure will encourage those who've recently had a graft and anybody waiting for one. I guess the fact that you haven't visited for the forum for ages but have just been getting on with your life says it all! All the best for continued stability.
Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 09 Jan 2013 7:11 am

Hey Rob, well done and have a good anniversary.

This is the kind of news that will also warm the hearts of the donor family.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

15 years on.....

Postby Rob Armstrong » Wed 16 May 2018 3:45 pm

Well, I've finally relented and I've been put on the waiting list to have a graft on my left eye. I did some research on here before agreeing, just in case there had been any new major developments (I wasn't expecting any to be fair, but as there's no going back from a graft I wanted to be sure). I used the site to help compile a list of questions before I agreed though. It will be at a different hospital this time and apparently I will have a running stitch rather than individual - hopefully that will help avoid the high astigmatism in my right eye from last time (it went up every time I broke one of my individual stitches). Been told 6 month's wait but that I could get a short notice cancellation - I guess I'm gonna have to start answering the phone to withheld numbers now just in case!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 16 May 2018 4:26 pm

All the very best for the new graft when it happens. And it's easier second time around!

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: 15 years on.....

Postby Rob Armstrong » Sat 03 Nov 2018 2:16 am

Well, I've got my pre-op next week and hopefully my graft 2 weeks later. I'm just watching a horror film called "The Eye" where Jessica Alba has a double cornea transplant (yep, seriously) - probably not the best idea given the circumstances. I've just been reading some of the latest posts about graft lifespans and people's experiences. I'm planning on compiling a list of questions for my pre-op as it's at a different hospital this time around. I was trying to remember how long I was on the drops for last time etc. I think I wasn't on the antibiotics for long but on the steroids for quite a while, gradually reducing the dosage? Remember finding the low winter sun uncomfortable etc. Just trying to remember the details really.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 04 Nov 2018 9:41 am

Yes, the antibiotic drops are usually just for a few weeks, while the steroids are likely to be at least 6 months - as far as I remember, 2 hourly in the first week or so and then gradually reducing over the next months. I don't know if this is true in all hospitals, but current medical thinking in Moorfields is that eventually they keep you on one drop a day indefinitely, though that's for a full PK graft and may be different if it's a partial DALK graft. And yes, you're likely to be quite light sensitive for several weeks after the op, so low winter sun can be uncomfortable (though these sunny days can't last for ever, can they?) There will also be quite a few follow up appts at the hospital initially, again gradually reducing as things settle down. All the very best, and do let us know how it all goes.

Stirchley Cortez
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Stirchley Cortez » Sun 11 Nov 2018 10:20 am

Rob - thanks for the upbeat post, it's too easy to find stories of corneal rejection on the net so it's good to hear a positive account. I'm just over 9 weeks post DALK and have just completed my 1st week back at work. Dexamethasone drops 6x daily and now lovely, lovely Hydra drops 4x daily. Sunglasses at the ready, podcasts and audiobooks ready to go plus some nice comfort food treats and you'll be all set.
Good luck with this one.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”