Kerasoft IC too fragile?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Rich Moore
Contributor
Contributor

Kerasoft IC too fragile?

Postby Rich Moore » Fri 04 Jan 2013 1:54 pm

Has anyone else had problems with Kerasoft IC lenses getting damaged whilst removing them from their eyes?

This morning I removed my lens from my left eye and noticed a large tear along the outer-edge. The sliver of lens has now dropped off making it unwearable. :(

I'm following my opticians advice of using the two handed technique to remove the lenses - I place one finger under the lens, and the other above and slide my fingers together until the lens drops out - usually on to a mirror. I'm also taking care when storing the lenses, and ensuring my nails are nice and short.

Previously I had a Kerasoft IC lens develop a small 'chip' in the outer-edge. Which I thought might have been caused by the lens case.

As this will be the third time I have to pay to replace the lens I just want to be sure I'm not doing something wrong?

Also. What type of lens case do you use with your soft-lenses? I'm currently using a 'basket' case which comes supplied with the Oxysept 1 Step solution. I'm thinking that maybe this could be the cause of the damage?

Cheers

Rich

Nickysells1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Kerasoft IC too fragile?

Postby Nickysells1 » Sun 06 Jan 2013 11:21 pm

Hi Rich

I have had a couple of IC figments now and having just had cxl I have even used a test lens with my glasses for a few weeks using the 'pinch' method to remove. I have not had any problems with any chips or rips. I suggest using a standard case rather than the oxide or basket kind and see what occurs.

Cheers

Nick

Nickysells1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Nickysells1 » Sun 06 Jan 2013 11:23 pm

What kind of solution are you using? This could have an effect too I guess? There's certain ones recommended on the kerasoft website. I use Quattro multifunction to clean and soak.

Rich Moore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rich Moore » Mon 07 Jan 2013 10:50 am

Thanks for the tips Nick.

The solution I'm using is AMO Oxysept 1 Step. I seem to remember that my Optom recommended this along with a Baush & Lomb Lens cleaner.

Do you have a web link to the recommended solutions?

The annoying thing is I've spent the last 6 months going back and forth to my Hospital trying to find a suitable replacement to the last left lens that chipped. They ordered what we thought was a replacement, only to find the vision radically different. Since then I've probably tried 4-5 different left lenses that have all gone back.

In the interim I was getting decent enough vision from this left lens which I found in an old vial... Not the best of situations but one that gave me decent enough vision. Now this has torn I don't have a pair of lenses which is a bit of a pain.

I'm thinking that maybe it's just reached the end of it's usable life? I'm not sure if the quoted 12 months is actual wear time or from date of manufacture.

Cheers

Rich

Nickysells1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Nickysells1 » Mon 07 Jan 2013 11:17 pm

I'm not sure about the date situation....maybe worth contacting ultra vision directly?

There is a page on the kerasoft website that recommends solutions but the Quattro I use isn't on it Lynne White (who is a optom that also consults for kerasoft) said it was fine. I was using a Krystal cleaner too but that is not good for the kerasoft material and the Quattro is used for cleaning and soaking sterile saline I use for rinsing.

I use half a dozen drops of Quattro-so it's bathed gently run the lens for ten to fifteen seconds then rinse with saline and soak in Quattro. I haven't torn one yet but not had one lens for that long as gone through remoulding from rgp's and recently cross linking!

Rich Moore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rich Moore » Tue 08 Jan 2013 9:07 am

Thanks again Nick.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 16 Jan 2013 9:54 pm

Some solutions seem to cause problems with silicon hydrogel lenses.

The only Kerasoft 3 or Kerasoft IC lenses I have had break were when I was taking part in some clinical trials for modified lens materials and designs. Of the production lenses I have had over the past four (probably five) years now I have never had a problem unless I gauged it with a nail, but I could still wear the lens with chunks out of the side.

Your removal method sounds like you are using your finger nails to go under the lens, I use a two finger method on the lids like removing an RGP. The eye lids push against the lens and flick it out which is less harsh then using your finger tips / nails.

The pinch method works too which I often use if I am in a rush.
Gareth

Rich Moore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rich Moore » Thu 24 Jan 2013 1:02 pm

GarethB wrote: I could still wear the lens with chunks out of the side.

Thanks for the good advice Gareth!

I decided to go back and start wearing the original damaged lens. The vision is so good with the damaged lens, I thought 'hell, why not'.

I'm only wearing it for 3-4 hours at a time, every couple of days and so far, so good.

I'm wearing the lenses with a couple of drops of Systane (I think another one of your recommendations :) ) and so far no notable redness. At least no more than usual.

I know it's not wise to wear damaged lenses but at this time it's my only option.

The NHS clinic seems to have lost interest in trying to order in a working IC replacement and instead fobbed me off with a 'normal' soft lens which makes my vision worse :(

Thanks again,

Rich

kittykat

Postby kittykat » Sun 05 May 2013 2:23 am

Over last 2 to 3 years I have been fitted with kerasoft lenses and each time the lenses have only lasted 2 to 3 months. I have used only the recommended solutions and each time they rip I am having to pay for them. I do not know why they are ripping and use the press eye lid approach when takinh out. I am very careful with them too. I am using oxyspet as recommended and really fed up as not only is it a cost issue but also inconvenience. On top of it all last year I was given the wrong contact lenses for a whole year. When querying I was told they were the right ones from moorfields orderin
G department. It transpired that they were not and the fitting was wrong.

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Other

Postby Steven Williams » Tue 07 May 2013 9:08 pm

Are the kerasoft IC lenses available at all NHS Hospital contact lens clinics?

How long do they last?

How much are they to purchase (a) privately and (b) on the NHS

Return to “General Discussion Forum”