Waiting list time for corneal transplant?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Waiting list time for corneal transplant?

Postby Steven Williams » Thu 03 Jan 2013 12:58 pm

Whats the current waiting list time for a corneal transplant in GB?

For those who have recently had corneal transplants could you inform us how long you had to wait from giving your consent for the operation and the hospital where you had it done.

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Re: Waiting list time for corneal transplant?

Postby Steven Williams » Wed 13 Mar 2013 1:53 pm

Any chance of some positive input to what I considered to be a fair question?

Are there any other old threads on this topic? had a quick scan through but nothing came up.

If you have had a transplant could you advise how long you had to wait. Thanks.

starlight93
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby starlight93 » Thu 14 Mar 2013 12:16 am

I've not had one (yet) but it is fairly fast compared to other organs. It depends on supply usually, but 4 weeks - 3 months should be the normal waiting time, I am guessing. Why don't you wait for one of the senior members who've done grafts to reply?

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Steven Williams » Thu 14 Mar 2013 1:49 am

Been waiting patiently for a response/help/support here since posting at the beginning of the year starlight and according to the evidence of the stats there are over 1000 views on the thread!!

Not given up hope yet though :shock:

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 14 Mar 2013 8:30 am

Steven

I'm guess that the reason nobody has ventured an answer is that the answer to your question is a bit like the length of a piece of string. I have done some online research and have found this article

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/corneatran ... ction.aspx

I hope that this helps.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Steven Williams » Thu 14 Mar 2013 10:53 am

Thanks for the link Andrew - sadly it does not address what I consider to be a fair and reasonable question and therefore it does not help.

I'm guess that the reason nobody has ventured an answer is that the answer to your question is a bit like the length of a piece of string

I really dont understand that comment when there are many KCers who visit here who have had transplants, like your goodself, who are in position to be able to address this question.

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 14 Mar 2013 1:14 pm

As you know, my own transplants were many years ago, and things change. When I had my operations there was not the shortage of tissue for transplant that the NHS currently report, so my own experience would be of little value today.

I'd suggest that a good place to ask your question would be at the hospital you attend: they would be able to tell you the current waiting times involved.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 14 Mar 2013 2:34 pm

The variability of waiting times for corneal transplants around the country is something this charity has been talking about to NHS British Transplant. Times vary from 2/3 months to 2 years according to data collected from UK hospitals. NHSBT is now looking at how to help ensure that access to corneal transplants is more equal around the country. And of course, there are many factors involved including things like the number of surgeons in an area compared to the demand for transplants in that area, availability of operating theatre time, as well as availability of donated corneas. Keratoconus is only one of the conditions for which a corneal transplant might be needed (around 25% of transplants are for KC). Emergency transplants are often required for all sorts of eye injuries, there are conditions like Fuchs Dystrophy, and a variety of conditions that affect older people and make the cornea cloudy and affect vision. So there are lots of people in the queue. One possibility is that there might be a national waiting list in the future, rather than hospitals having their own lists. As soon as we hear any definite news on future plans from NHSBT, we'll let members know.
Anne

saima123
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby saima123 » Fri 15 Mar 2013 4:46 am

Hi Steve,
I had my graft about 18 months ago. i went to see my consultant in the March/April time for a checkup and i told him i wanted a graft and he agreed as my eyes were only getting worse and contacts were not a option anymore.After which i was waiting and waiting and then in July i went to see my GP and asked her if she could see what was happening and see put a word in for me.Which was a very good idea because a few weeks after seeing her i got my op date for September.

I don't know how long you have been waiting but maybe it's worth a try to see if your GP can keep a watch out and contact the hospital to help speed the process out.

I hope i have provided you some helpful info. Please let me know if i can be any assistance to you in the future.

All The Best

Saima

saima123
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and good vision

Postby saima123 » Fri 15 Mar 2013 4:53 am

Hiya there again,

Ooooops you wanted to know which hospital i had the graft at to.Right i had mine at Southampton General Hospital and wow they are really good.One of the best eye units in the UK in my opinion. And also they have lots of experience with KC.

All the Best

saima

Return to “General Discussion Forum”