Time off work?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Time off work?

Postby Paul Osborne » Sun 20 Nov 2005 11:23 pm

Well I am still waiting for my graft - though it was only early October that I saw the consultant, so thats hardly a suprise.

I have an appointment coming up with Occupational Health at work (at my instigation) to discuss what my employer can do for me as regards my KC which is a good thing.

Anyway I am wondering what sort of amount of time I can vaguely expect to be away from work as part of the post op recovery from that graft. All I really know is that its probably one night in hospital and then I am likely to be light sensitive for a bit.

If it helps, I spend most of my day at a desk staring at a computer screen (TFT).

So some clues would be welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Barney
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Barney » Sun 20 Nov 2005 11:46 pm

Mine was a good while ago so can barely remember but I think I was fine after a couple of days. The morning after the afternoon op the eye felt like it might after a really bad day with lenses but not much worse. Certainly was fine to travel by train to Moorfields a week later. Couldn't see a blessed thing out of the eye initially though which was a tad worrying. Now perfect sight in that eye with correction.

You'll probably need to be putting a cocktail of eyedrops in every couple of hours for a while.

Asif
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Asif » Sun 20 Nov 2005 11:55 pm

After my graft my vision was slightly hazey, which went away after about 2 weeks. I was photophobic for a weeks or so aswell. I could have returned to normal activities/work after a week or so but took it easy for 3 weeks. The discomfort of the graft went away after 2-3 days. I was on two different drops, dexamethanose and chloramphenocol each 4 times a day. If you can see through the eye that will be ungrafted than working infront of a pc will be ok after about 3 weeks i guess, but take frequent breaks to avoid straining the grafted eye as vision will not be very good initially.

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Mon 21 Nov 2005 12:23 am

cant help from the graft perspective....however, what is your vision like currently? Are u off work already as you cant see well enough to do your job or are you just preparing for when you have your graft?

Do you have any magnifiers (CCTV) or special access software to use at work? If not, maybe Access to Work could help you, before and after the graft. From what I have read after a graft, your vision will most likely fluctuate for sometme, during which you may well still need help at work. Access to Work can be contacted via JobCentre.

Best Wishes,

Susan

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Mon 21 Nov 2005 8:03 am

Paul

You can expect to be away from work anything from one to six weekd depending on how the procedure went, and your recovery abilities. Outside that there are other issues such as swelling, comfort, photosensitivity etc.

I was away from work for about one week but suffered the light sensitivity for about 6 weeks, which I used Sunglasses to avoid, but the sensitivity only occured in the morning for about 45 mins whilst the eye got used to the light.

Jay
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Paul Osborne » Mon 21 Nov 2005 11:59 am

Thanks for the replies.

So to sum up the replies, it seems that I could be off for anything up to six weeks and may well be somewhat photophobic and somewhat irritable (sorry the eye will be irritable :-).

Looks like I could be sponging my blind friends audio book collection, and asking for a DAB radio for xmas (well its a good excuse).

Someone mentioned adjusting the display settings - thats not a major problem - will have to do it myself as I am the IT bod in my dept - which does mean that I can tinker to my hearts content and get things just so.

I mainly only use the non graft needing eye as the other one is so bad its unprescribable hence the graft. So if need be I can get a Pete the Pirate eye patch to keep it dark!

Paul

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 21 Nov 2005 12:37 pm

Regarding VDU use, if you are not trained at work already, occupational health should be trained to carry out VDU assesments. Get them to train you how to do it properly so you get thinks set up correctly. Occupational health will still need to be sent a copy of the assesment.

Go beyond the assesment and think of the KC. For me this meant the flat screen monitor so I could change the colour ratios. Even with contrast and brightness turned as low as possible the screen is still bright. Giving everything a hint of blu helps.

In adition to the flat screen, moving closer to the window and aaway from the aircon by 2 feet made all the difference. I can tolerate brighter natural light better than the equivelent artificial light. To me flourescent lights appear to flicker when everyone else and electricians tests show them not to!

Might be something to do with the dyslexia as even with lenses in words appear to move about as if I am looking at a book at the bottom of a gently rippling pond. Go to natural light and up the blue tint with specs and everything is perfectly clear and my dyslexia is not so bad!

I annoy my work mates by giving everything a hint of pink and leave the computer that way when I am out of the office. They can not figure out how to change it, so everything is still set right for me on my return.

Regards

Gareth
Gareth

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Time off work

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 21 Nov 2005 9:41 pm

Paul
If you'd like a copy of our new Keratoconus at Work leaflet to give to your employer, e-mail me your postal address (either by PM or on anneklepacz@aol.com) and I'll send you one.
Anne

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Mon 21 Nov 2005 11:23 pm

Hey there! :)

Just wanted to wish you all the best and hoping that everything goes well. I took two weeks off work after my graft (DALK), am a nurse so was more worried of infection and lifting more than anything else. We do use pc's but not enough to worry about eyestrain etc.

I had some pain for about three days post op and then everything was ok! Putting eyedrops in made everything much better as your eye does tend to get a little dry especially first thing in the morning. Since then (touch wood lol!) i haven't been able to feel the stitches, and was only photophobic for about a week.

Everyone is different, and i think that using a pc is a little harder, but so long as you take regular breaks and adjust the monitor i think you should be ok. :)

Take care and let us know how you get on!

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Paul Osborne
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Paul Osborne » Tue 22 Nov 2005 2:17 pm

[quote="Sweet"]
<snipped lots of reassuring stuff>

Thanks.

> Take care and let us know how you get on!

Will do - will post here when I get a date, no one can agree on what the wait is at the moment!

Oh well.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”