Contacts fogging up

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Contacts fogging up

Postby Mas-tech » Sun 16 Dec 2012 8:26 pm

Hi All,

I've been wearing my RGP contacts for a week now, and they are doing a brilliant job, life's pretty much back to normal. However I'm having a minor annoyance where my left eye starts fogging up a little bit after a couple of hours, I thought it maybe a defective lens so I put on my spare but still after a couple of hours it would be foggy/cloudy, my right eye is perfect and have no issues at all.

Is this expected for the first couple of weeks and what causes it to fog up?

Thanks in advance!

Mas

helenh999
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Contacts fogging up

Postby helenh999 » Sun 16 Dec 2012 9:59 pm

I had the same problem - it was an allergy related thing with me. The only way we solved it was to switch the type of lenses I was wearing. Or perhaps trying a different (recommended) cleaning solution may be something you could suggest to your Dr?

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mas-tech » Sun 16 Dec 2012 10:07 pm

I'll try a different solution first, see if that makes a difference; if not then back to the docs I go!

I'm using Quattro multi purpose at the moment, any recommendations on other brands?

Cheers.

Elizabeth Mair

Postby Elizabeth Mair » Fri 21 Dec 2012 10:16 pm

It may be that the lens is drying up and you need to use moisturisers- ones suitable for contact lens wear.Clinitas has a range that a lot of people use.The lens fit may not be ideal which is another reason for a lens going foggy.
Try alternative contact lens solutions first - particularly some of the preservative free ones. One person I knew had RGP lenses and he tried a soft lens solution which made a huge difference.(Don't use RGP solution on soft lenses though)

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mas-tech » Sat 22 Dec 2012 1:49 am

Thanks for the advise Elizabeth, I actually used some hycosan drops for dry eyes and that helped a little bit. I'll try a different solution and see how it goes.

Wouldn't using solutions for soft lenses cause any problems with RGPs? I'm not entirely sure what the main differences ate between soft and rgp solutions.

Cheers!
Mas

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Sat 22 Dec 2012 10:15 am

I use soft lens solution with my RGPs Sauflon Synergy. it's preservative free and thinner than RGP solutions. I find them too gloopy. I use Boston cleaner rinsed with saline too. the general consensus is that you can use soft solutions on hard lenses but not hard solutions on soft as it disintegrates them.
clean them before soaking. works well for me. make sure you give them a good rub rub with the cleaner. you could try a peroxide based cleaner aswell
Jake 8)

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Sat 22 Dec 2012 10:20 am

Try putting the eye drops in your eye, then dropping eye drops in the contact lens, then placing it in your eye to thicken the tear layer between the contact lens and your cornea
Jake 8)

munster
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby munster » Sun 23 Dec 2012 9:30 am

The fogging/Misting could also be a result of your tear film. It maybe a little more oily or mucusy around that time.

Mas-tech
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mas-tech » Sun 23 Dec 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

Jake I did what you suggested and that made a massive difference, I wouldn't have even thought of putting the drops on the contacts. It still gets a bit cloudy but not as bad as it was a few days ago, will see how it goes over the next few days and take it from there.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”