Cataract and lens implant

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Cataract and lens implant

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 09 May 2013 8:46 am

All the very best for a good recovery, Ian, and that you finally get the vision you were hoping for at the start of the journey!
Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 11 May 2013 3:56 pm

All the best with your recovery.
Andrew MacLean

russell_anderson
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby russell_anderson » Thu 23 May 2013 6:31 pm

GrandPaClanger wrote:Well i had the cataract Op on Tuesday. Straight forward enough. Only thing I wasn't aware of (told) is they do some injections. Not only do they numb it and stop it moving (knew that) BUT it turns the vision off for 24 hours so you can't see a darn thing. They also did astigmatic keratotomy (cuts in the cornea) and added some sutures to improved the shape. Still very tender and red as a result but pain has eased off a lot. Great to hear the consultants and the theatre staff talking amongst themselves. Really interesting.

Will take a while for the vision to sort it's self out but white things are a heck of a lot brighter than I can ever remember :shock:

Ian

Hope things are improving, Ian. I didn't have any injections but I had torric lens to correct my astigmatism as opposed to your keratotomy. I've just been back to see the consultant today and they've decided not to do anything further so I now have to get specs for long and short distance and hope that does the trick. I'm told my vision has improved so that I am comfortably able to drive but it certainly is nowhere near decent for any range without glasses so I'll have to see what tranpires after my visit to the optician. I've also see a 0which has been there for a while but which I had not noticed until I had a new lens which allows much mor light through. Apparently, my right eye has gone from -1.75 to -0.10 and my left eye from -3.25 to -1.00. There has also been an improvement in my astigmatism although I haven't got the new figures (previously my right eye was -2.00/35 and my left -1.50/140). However, I can still only read a number plate from 6 ft without glasses! I'm now wondering if the new -0.10 and -1.00 the consultant mentioned were distance or near readings! I'll find out when I go to the optician for my specs!!!

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GrandPaClanger » Fri 09 Aug 2013 5:50 am

Well it's three months post cataract and AK. Vision is a lot better I can wake up read an alarm clock and make drinks which is a god send. Had a check up couple of weeks back and given a prescription for some glasses. They give me just short of driving standard vision on the graft but it does seem a bit variable. On a good day outside it's better than the KC eye with a lens (6/9). Colours are a lot more vivid and everything has more depth. I have an appointment early September for a contact lens fitting so hopefully that will get things a lot sharper as I still have some astigmatism.

On Sunday I needed to take the lens out in the KC eye but at least I was able to wear the glasses and watch TV rather than giving up and having snooze as I would do pre graft :) . 27 months post graft but hopefully getting towards the end of journey with this eye. Only thing is am starting to think about asking for the other eye to be done :).

Ian

Return to “General Discussion Forum”