Eye drops

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lewis-W
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Eye drops

Postby Lewis-W » Wed 31 Oct 2012 1:31 pm

Occasionally my eyes can get really dry whilst wearing my RGP lenses, and I was just wondering what eye drops everybody would recommend to counter this problem?

At the moment, I am just using Optrex Rehydrating drops (with the lenses still in) but they aren't really doing the job.

Is there a drop that is specially made to target this sort of problem?

Thanks!

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Eye drops

Postby GarethB » Wed 31 Oct 2012 4:23 pm

There are many eye drops aimed at resolving dry eyes, but it depends on the type of dry eye you have! The tears are made up of three major components, saline, a lipid layer and a surfactant to make the lipid layer flow in the saline. As far as I am aware, despite the claims no one eye drop mimics all components.

I tried eye drops people recoemnded here and none worked, but Systane by Alcon works a treat and I put a drop in the back of the lens just before I put it in eye. When I did this wirth RGP's it gave a couple of hours relief and I could either put drops directly in my eye or remove the lens and put a drop in the back again. With the soft lenses for KC, there is no need, I just use a drop first thing in the morning.

If you try different drops, give them at least a week, preferably two as many take time to take effect.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 31 Oct 2012 5:18 pm

As Gareth says, the artificial tears that suit each of us may not suit others. I hve tried Systane but to no avail. My relief comes from Clinitas Soothe.
Andrew MacLean

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Thu 01 Nov 2012 8:56 pm

I love Hypromellose!!

And Celluvisc
Jake 8)

Lewis-W
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lewis-W » Fri 02 Nov 2012 1:39 pm

Cheers for the replies - I will try some of these out & see what works the best!

stuuk10

Postby stuuk10 » Tue 06 Nov 2012 2:48 pm

Celluvisc basically saved me. I was having loads of trouble with dry eye to the point where i couldn't see passed 7pm if i was lucky due to smearing..i was given celluvisc on a repeat prescription and never looked back

I have a routine, 1 capsule 0.5% between 2 eyes then put in my contact lenses followed by another capsule between 2 eyes immediately after. I then out one more capsule in around dinner and around tea time. I put in my contacts every morning around 6:30 and take them out around 11pm (when im tired not because i have to)..maybe im just lucky but they certainly helped me no end

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Tue 06 Nov 2012 7:56 pm

stuuk10 wrote:Celluvisc basically saved me. I was having loads of trouble with dry eye to the point where i couldn't see passed 7pm if i was lucky due to smearing..i was given celluvisc on a repeat prescription and never looked back

I have a routine, 1 capsule 0.5% between 2 eyes then put in my contact lenses followed by another capsule between 2 eyes immediately after. I then out one more capsule in around dinner and around tea time. I put in my contacts every morning around 6:30 and take them out around 11pm (when im tired not because i have to)..maybe im just lucky but they certainly helped me no end

Can I ask, how many unit does do you get per nhs prescription? I'm wondering whether to get a prescription, or keep buying them on eBay. Would like to find out which is cheaper.

Thanks
Jake 8)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 07 Nov 2012 7:54 am

Take care when purchasing things such as eye drops from ebay or other auction sites as there is a big business in counterit medication and auction sites and online shops such as Ebay and Amazon are a major route for this trade to take place.

Reputable sites such as Ebay and Amazon do their best to police this but they do face an up hill struggle.

Most NHS hospitals will only give a 1 month supply if they provide eye drops at all many don't, they just treat the KC, so comparing the monthl cost is usually the best comparison.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 07 Nov 2012 8:28 am

I agree with Gareth about buying on eBay, but I do get my Clinitas Soothe online.

http://www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk/Dr ... brand.html
Andrew MacLean

Lewis-W
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lewis-W » Wed 07 Nov 2012 3:37 pm

Andrew MacLean wrote:My relief comes from Clinitas Soothe.

I took your advice Andrew and tried the Clinitas Soothe.
They had great online reviews & seemed very reasonably priced for the amount you actually get.

I've only used them a few times since they arrived in the post, but they're already making a massive difference!
They work a lot better than the drops I was using before - instant & long lasting relief :)

Thanks for mentioning them!

- Lew

Return to “General Discussion Forum”