so deprerssed

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lewis-W
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: so deprerssed

Postby Lewis-W » Tue 16 Oct 2012 8:17 am

GarethB wrote:If i did mention KC early on it was usualy after a really cheesy chat up line "Do you want to see my operation scar?" and if they said yes, I would say "Look deep in to my eyes!" at which point they were close enough to grab a cheeky kiss :oops:

I've not even had a graft, but I'm definitely trying that one out!! :wink:

Sarkac, I think you should just be upfront about it.
As I mentioned previously, your KC sounds very mild and manageable... and if he regards it as a "horror story" when you inform him then I wouldn't waste your time on him :)
It seems like the "bottle it up" approach is making you unhappy - so just tell him and see how he responds.
I'm pretty certain there will be no issues once he understands the condition and how easily it can be managed (especially at your mild stage) :)

kieran19685
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby kieran19685 » Tue 16 Oct 2012 11:52 am

depends which way you look at things, i would rather have KC than most other 'diseases' out there, and for me wearing contacts give me a normal life, so i would refer to it at as a managable eye condition

Pacee21

Postby Pacee21 » Tue 16 Oct 2012 2:51 pm

To be honest when i mention KC people look at me blankly before saying Kerry Katona? :/ Almost as annoying as constantly saying "well why dont you just wear glasses"

I never thought of it as a disease untill i got a job about a year back and mentioning it to the HR department. They put me in a health screening and given the uncurable degenerative disease category. Which i was shocked at the diagnosis as well as mightily miffed. Although technically accruate I honestly think of myself the same as people that have bad eyes and need strong glasses.
Any time i need to mention it i just say ive got knackered eyes and that seems to emcompass the whole KC business quite nicely.
In regards to relationships my girlfriends probably been the most understanding person out there and she regularly sits into my optometrist consultations so she gets a better knowledge of what i go through.Ive never once through mentioning KC would be a problem with relationships.

My main problems arise trying to explain to an employer that i cant come into work today as my eyes are painful and i dont feel comfortable driving. However way you spin it, it never feels like a justifiable excuse. Id much rather have a broken leg or whatever y'know something visual.

Lewis-W
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lewis-W » Tue 16 Oct 2012 3:04 pm

Pacee21 wrote:To be honest when i mention KC people look at me blankly before saying Kerry Katona? :/ Almost as annoying as constantly saying "well why dont you just wear glasses"

Heard them all.. annoying as (won't say it here)! :wink:

Pacee21 wrote:Any time i need to mention it i just say ive got knackered eyes and that seems to emcompass the whole KC business quite nicely.

Think I've used these exact words on numerous occasions.
"My eyes are knackered so I need to wear hard contacts instead of the regular soft ones".... always does the trick.

Anyway, as I've said previously, KC really shouldn't get in the way of any relationships.
There's no need to let it cause any major issues as it's such a manageable condition.

I think anybody who isn't willing to understand & accept that should be kicked to the kerb (curb?) anyway :)

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Thu 18 Oct 2012 3:59 pm

Kerry Katona!! Lol I get that all the time!

And..... can't you just wear glasses?

I dont feel the need to mention it though. Like if i was a 'regular' contact lens wearer I wouldnt feel the need to. Looads of people wear contacts and glasses
Jake 8)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 18 Oct 2012 4:37 pm

jay87 wrote:And..... can't you just wear glasses?

I answer flipantly.. of course I can wear glasses but still can't see a darn thing!
Gareth

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 18 Oct 2012 4:55 pm

Or there's the comment

"... but I thought everyone wore disposables these days"

To which I reply 'I do, it just that I wear RGPs as well'

and then I add

'..at the same time'

and then I put my reading glasses on as well!

And then some one suggests varifocal glasses - if only it was that simple!

Lia

tremtastic
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tremtastic » Thu 18 Oct 2012 7:23 pm

I guess if potential partners do make a fuss, you could just tell them that they should be thankful.

"It's like permanent beer-goggles and you wouldn't touch them with a bargepole otherwise" should do the trick!

:twisted:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”