Sight with lenses 6/5 part

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Sight with lenses 6/5 part

Postby Richard In Wales » Tue 01 Nov 2005 4:17 pm

well after all the hassle of my graft seeming to, not so much fail, but not be as affective as they wanted they have tried a new type of large lens.

I went yesterday for fitting and they where well please with the correction

I failed to get 6/6 as I misread 3 letters on the bottom line.

But 6/5 part is well good. I couldn't believe how different the lens made my sight. It's been so long now without vision in the left eye my brain took ages to get use to the sight again.

I get my new lenses in 2 weeks and although I can only wear the lens in the grafted eye for 4 to 5 hours a day I'm sure it will improve my life no end.
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Tue 01 Nov 2005 4:54 pm

Hi

This is really good news for you, you must be over the moon especially as it has been so long and things for a while seemed not so good.

What type of lens are you getting?

Fingers crossed for you.

best wishes

Susan

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Richard In Wales » Tue 01 Nov 2005 6:28 pm

there just large gas permiable type ones as far as I know

10.5mm to make sure they go well over the graft edges.

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Tue 01 Nov 2005 9:28 pm

Sounds like you may have got yourself an Intra-Lymbal lens there.....they have a good outcome for Post Graft eyes!....be good to see if this was the case.....

Excellent that you got that vision though! I wouldnt throw 6/5 out of bed lol
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Richard In Wales » Tue 01 Nov 2005 9:45 pm

Soon as I get it I'll post back saying what type/Make it is for you

Tammy Downsworth
Contributor
Contributor

Eyesight with lenses

Postby Tammy Downsworth » Wed 02 Nov 2005 5:07 pm

6/5, I can only get 6/4 with any sort of lens(if from what you put the last line is 6/6, one up is 6/5 then two up will be 6/4), apparently due to the complication of the measles scars.

As you were an energetic poster to the website, and you'd not for a while, wondered if you were having probs rather than not...

Had a look at your website what happened to the link to the Greedy Pigs?, they have not folded thier rally at the end of Sept apparently was a good one (I got left at home boo hoo tried strapping myself round the backrest but the bike wouldn't move), no Holly made her Dad promise earlier in the year he'd do a rally on his pristine bike in the summer and he tried welching but she made him as he'd 'promised', honestly Dave, I had my bike to ride it, not hide it! (some of rode them 'into the grond), but if I had a nice1 I certainly wouldn't keep it in the garage till there's not a cloud in the sky, he's hoping against hope most of the time we do live in Manchester.

And thanks coz I got the details of the Frozen Nuts Rally, which we'll be going to in Feb.

I've had small hydops episode over summer, but not worrying too much but the eye pokers sent me an appointment so I know the next visit will be 'fun' not!.

I've had to come to the conclusion my bike will have to go from it's rusting space in the shed!, it might as well, don't know about you but I've lost my ability to judge cambers, and I know (when they were good enough that is) that they say my eyesight is OK to drive, well driving is not the same as motorcycling, and even tho I am a girly, I ride well and hard!, and in nearly 20 years never had an accident that was my riding error (apart from dropping it once on the way to Wigan that was an adverse camber but when yer stopped its OK), and I might just mis judge that bump, slope, line, patch of diesel.

Trouble is I can still remember when I see it sat there, and when it's gone I might forget!

Besides, I reckon that the cooling effect of the air is what's stopped me developing KC till now, and I've circulated my theory to Lynn White etc., but still fricky of having an accident, but you've given me an idea!, a trike!, which to be honest I wasn't that bothered about as you can't overtake in traffic the same, and squeeze through gaps etc. so have to sit bored in the traffic with the alsoran cars!

But if it gets me about again in the air, and we can find somewhere to build/store it.....

Oh, and those old (rather gay posy photos if you ask me) make me even more certain that we've inhabited the same field, oooo how far shall I go back, well Steve actually known as Preacher (Manchester 282) and I was one of the founding members of the Melon Smugglers (yes guess the build!) who did a few parties/rallies etc. in the 90's, and we always do the Wolverhampton & District TOC Rally the Thunderbird (Oswestry), anyway, your face is familiar, oh and I used to work sometimes behind the bar at the (dear departed) Spread Eagle in Ashton.

Anyone want to buy rusted heap of a h reg Kwak GT550, red of course (they did do Blue), it's only done 18000, 15000 of em me!

I always like to put milage on a bike, I had a Honda C70 I'd clocked up about 10000 in two years that's not bad for a step through!

At 6 months old our Holly went to her first in a 550 Jawa Combo (red), Swingin Monks over Ashbourne.

Gotta go.

Tammy

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Wed 02 Nov 2005 9:02 pm

I should clear up some confusion here Tammy.6/4 vision is better than 6/6.what is usually referred to as 20/20 vision equates to 6/6 or 100%. If you can see 6/5 or 6/4 it means your eyesight is better than 100%! The easiest way is to think of it as a fraction where 6/6=1, ie 100%, but 6/4=1.5 ie 150%. The idea of 100% is purely historical ie when Snellen first devised his test chart he thought the maximum resolution of the eye was 5 minutes of arc which equates to the 6/6 size letters but most people with healthy eyes do better ! The bottom line on a test chart is usually 6/4 but some charts stop at 6/5 and a few go down to 6/3. I hope this helps

Tammy Downsworth
Contributor
Contributor

Eye Charts

Postby Tammy Downsworth » Mon 07 Nov 2005 1:19 pm

Ali

Well it always amazes me that people can quote what numbers their eye prescription is, mine changes so much I've never bothered, and my last one, I have near intermediate and far presriptions in varifocals, about to pick up a new pair of specs there's an outside chance I can drive!

I can usually see about 6 lines down with contacts and four lines down with glasses on a good day and uncorrected with my left eye (I can see the chart and maybe the big first letter), but the rest are too distorted, what always makes me laugh is they insist on getting us to read the illuminated signs (the light level blurs the letters), and the illumination for me is the worst bit. Most of my problems are to do with dry eyes and the complications of the measles scars (they just lead to blurred patches - and light reflects off them like a net curtain), and that's before the KC correction. I can usually see two lines more with contacts than with glasses, but the vision in general is 'normal' with lenses but with glasses, it just doesn't feel the same.

I am so lens intollerant though that I am sticking with glasses till I exhaust the presciptions and better lenses (thinner glass) is coming out all the time, as long as they can correct the astignmatism that's OK, I don't get 'normal' vision with glasses but can just about manage. It's difficult to explain, it's just 'wierd!'.

The KC is progressing (I get that sense of the ripples when a stone is dropped in water when I look at anything white - or when I've my eyes closed), and I get glare problems even in quite low light levels, and two pairs of sunglasses are sometimes needed to stop the headache, but these things are sent to try us!

I didn't know my last message to Dave was posted to the board, I'd have left out all the other guff about Bikes, bike rallies etc. Thought it was as a private message, apologies for boring people!! :wink:

Right, perhaps you can clear up query about Glaucoma, I was told by one of the people I've seen that I stand a lower chance of developing Glaucoma, as the KC makes the pressure drop in the eye. But I note that a few people have glaucoma and KC so it must be possible. I take it that I can put that one down to just another myth I've been told! Like not to wear sunglasses too much, like hard lens stop the cornea from going out of shape,

Thanks anyway for explaining about the chart, it's still over my head though, that's the blonde hair!

Tam

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Mon 07 Nov 2005 7:44 pm

Hi Tammy
I'll try to explain without confusing you even further! As far as I know,keratoconics are not at a higher or lower risk of getting glaucoma than the general population.The reason the eye pressure is lower is due to the way the pressure is checked ie by applying a force to flatten the cornea (either using a puff of air or a probe that actually touches the cornea). As you may know a key feature of keratoconus is thinning of the cornea and this is the reason for the pressure readings often being lower than average. In other words the upper limit of normal pressure for a keratoconic eye is lower than a normal eye and care is needed in interpereting the pressure readings eg a reading of 20 is within normal limits, but it may not be if the patient is keratoconic because the "true" pressure may be higher and the tonometer is giving an artifically low reading due to thinning.The important thing is monitoring any changes in the pressure and supplementing this with visual field testing and optic nerve assessment.I hope this makes sense.

Regarding the test chart, the letter sizes from top to bottom are typically: 6/60, 6/36, 6/24, 6/18, 6/12, 6/9, 6/6, 6/5, 6/4

Return to “General Discussion Forum”