Holcomb C3R treatment

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Laramie2009
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Holcomb C3R treatment

Postby Laramie2009 » Tue 02 Oct 2012 2:27 pm

Hi everybody,
thank you very much for the posts that are present in this discussion group.They trully help especially regarding a such not known disease.
My husband suffers from Keratoconus and when he was diagnosed, not only we had never heard of it, as the doctor that made his finnaly diagnostic told us to google about the disease because there was not much that she could tell us either. She was just certain about two things: there is no cure and the NHS doenst help with the costs of treatments, including the contact lenses.
What i would like to know is if anybody have heard about the Holcomb C3R tretament, that this US doctor Brian apparentelly invented this new cross linking treatment that is less invasive and doesnt consists in the epithellium removal. He also claims that it tottaly CURES Kerattoconus and that he had done it to Steve Holcomb which is an Olympic US meddalist.
Does anyone has more information on this subject?
Tnak you
:D
Laramie

harker
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Holcomb C3R treatment

Postby harker » Wed 03 Oct 2012 12:28 pm

Holcomb C3R isn't that special, I'm afraid. The Holcomb name is just a bit of branding by Dr. Brian Boxer Wachler. What he's offering is simply epi-on CXL. And as you probably know, CXL doesn't cure keratoconus, though it seems to stop the progression. It also seems to work better when the epithelium is removed.

Steve Holcomb also had implantable contact lenses inserted, so it's slightly misleading of Boxer Wachler to sell the procedure using his name.

NickDash
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby NickDash » Wed 10 Oct 2012 2:23 pm

The so called 'Holcomb Procedure" is Corneal Cross linking with a variation on the basic C3R or Corneal Cross Linking. It show the benefits of Corneal Cross Linking for KC. In North America there has been a restriction where regulatory bodies called for the epithelium to be left on. Epi ON or Epi OFF is a matter of preference. The vast majority of C3Rs are done with the Epithelium being removed. A feature of the keratonic eye is an irregularity of the epithelial. So it makes sense to remove the irregularity and in doing so enable better penetration on the Riboflavin and also the Epithelium. The corneal epithelium being the natural barrier or block to absorbtion and UV radiation. Leaving it on, and, especially where it is variable in its thickness, just doesn't make sense, and might limit the efficacy of the treatment in many individuals.
The use of an implantable lens is a secondary treatment to the C3R, and the visual rehabilitation can be achieved by many methods. Creating a regular surface will improve the quality of the vision. For this reason the method of visual rehab is normally contact lenses, or Topographic (TCAT) re-profiling with the laser, Intacs. These give improved corneal profile and improved quality of vision. The use of an implanted lens will overcome the myopia and or potentially the astigmatism, but not the irregularities or higher order vision distortions that exist in a keratoconic eye. However if Steve Holcomb his high myopia and occupation (more than 6G of cornering forces, will cause contacts to pop out) limits contact lens use so an implantable solution was appropriate.
I will forward more details in due course but the Holcomb story is available online... but beware of American speak saying it is not surgery or not invasive. It is both surgery and invasive as it structurally changes the cornea. If it didn't it wouldn't work.

Nick Dash, Optometrist

Click below for the video! but take home message is get the cornea cross linked ASAP.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1UJPr0694gA&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1UJPr0694gA&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

caprica01

Postby caprica01 » Sun 14 Oct 2012 2:26 am

If there is one piece of advice I will give you, it is that RUN AWAY from all epi-on treatments and book a flight to Athens - Just from personal experience.

sarkac
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby sarkac » Sun 14 Oct 2012 4:46 pm

I had holcomb with B last year, on both eyes. Did not feel a thing.. recovered by evening .. i have no idea if it even worked... blindingly expensive though....
my K was not progressing anyways .. but it changed nothing...
if it does progress I can let u know that holcomb did not work ....
its either a fantastic miracle or a big fat cruel lie.. who knows

Georgesk
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Georgesk » Sat 10 Mar 2018 1:53 pm

sarkac wrote:I had holcomb with B last year, on both eyes. Did not feel a thing.. recovered by evening .. i have no idea if it even worked... blindingly expensive though....
my K was not progressing anyways .. but it changed nothing...
if it does progress I can let u know that holcomb did not work ....
its either a fantastic miracle or a big fat cruel lie.. who knows

Hello sarkac im thinking to do the holocomb do you recommand it ? Now its been years you did it , is it stable ? Thank you. George

Return to “General Discussion Forum”