Contact lens Case Cleaning

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Contact lens Case Cleaning

Postby jay87 » Tue 18 Sep 2012 7:12 pm

Hi All

I am quite particular on my contact lens hygiene as don't want to get Keratitis!! I clean and soak my lenses daily but thought i'd share my lens case routine too.

Requires

Antibacterial Liquid Soap
Toothbrush (only used for cleaning lens case!)
Kettle
Water

1. Cover lens case and lids in antibacterial soap and scrub scrub with toothbrush in every nooke and cranny!
2. Rinse with water
3. Bring kettle to boil, put lens case in and dunk in for 5 mins
4. Bring kettle to boil again and leave for another 5 mins
5. Rinse lens case and lid in cleaning solution
6. Air Dry

I do this every week and find it to be effective. Just wondered what your procedures are?
Jake 8)

Lewis-W
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Contact lens Case Cleaning

Postby Lewis-W » Wed 19 Sep 2012 9:00 am

Hi Jay,

Sounds like a very precise & effective routine!
I have to admit, I don't go to nearly as much trouble with my lens case - maybe I should?!

I've been wearing my lenses now for well over a year, and I've never had any issues with eye infections etc.

I just give my lenses a good cleaning every night and let them soak in the conditioning fluid overnight.

As for my case, I just give this a quick wash and rinse every weekend - seems to do the trick.
Although, I might starting using boiled water as you have mentioned. Would be a quick and easy way of guaranteeing my case is squeaky clean!

Good topic Jay!
Will be interesting to hear other people's routines when it comes to washing their lenses/case.

- Lew

longhoc
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby longhoc » Wed 19 Sep 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Jay

Good to know there are other quasi obsessive compulsive lens cleaners out there :D

Actually, I don't think it's obsessive at all, I think it's just self preservation. My routine is similar, the only addition to your list is "kitchen roll / disposable paper towels". Hand washing with soap is fine but of course it is all undone if you don't then use a clean towel. If contact lens wearers genuinely do change their hand towels every day and wash them at 60 degrees then that is good but it's easy to miss a day (or two...)

My somewhat strong opinions on this one are probably enforced by a family I'm friends with who -- I'm sure -- use the same thin, elderly hand towel day in day out and it never seems to go into the wash. (it's okay, none of them have Keratoconus so I'm sure they'd never dream of visiting this forum and reading my horribly cutting critique of their household cleanliness standards !) I've tried to subtly mention it to them but the reply was "oh, it's fine, it's from John Lewis"...

I much prefer the infallibility of a nice wodge of sheets of kitchen roll or disposable paper towels instead.

I think I'll stop there before I start getting strange looks :oops:

Cheers

Chris

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Wed 19 Sep 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for your input guys!

I think my hand towel cleanliness is a weak point. I certaintly don't wash it every day!

I wonder if I can find a fashionable paper towel dispenser lol
Jake 8)

Lewis-W
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lewis-W » Thu 20 Sep 2012 1:09 pm

Think I'm gonna have to find me one of these "John Lewis self-washing hand towels" :wink:

On a serious note, after reading these, I do think I need to up my game a bit.
Think I will start being a bit more cautious when it comes to cleaning the ol' contact case.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 21 Sep 2012 9:53 am

Been wearing lenses on and off for over 20 years and my lens cleaning regime has always to rinse the lenses cases with watre that has been frshly boiled and left to cool. Lenes dried inverted on a clean paper towel and the case gets cleaned daily. After three moths the case gets binned and I use the new one that comes with the cleaning solution.

Never had an eye infection in my life, but to avoid eye infection requires more than just cleaning the lens cases and the lenses each night.

Personal hygiene is important to as the edge of your fingers are touching part of the eye, even if it is just the lids.

Before putting my lenses in, I thoroughly wash my hands and face. When taking them out I thoroughly wash my hands and only wipe around my eyes with a damp flanel, I don't do a proper face wash because I found with RGP's it was easy to dislodge the lens which could be uncomfortable at times.
Gareth

jay87
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby jay87 » Fri 21 Sep 2012 6:46 pm

I want an autoclave lol
Jake 8)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”