Really need some help here

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Grim10
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Really need some help here

Postby Grim10 » Fri 14 Sep 2012 6:57 pm

Got new lenses yesterday. My optician says i takes three weeks to see optimal I see about 8/10. Is that normal?
I have one graft in my left eye. In that eye the lens feels kind of comfortable, however in my other eye (KC eye) I can feel the lens swapping around. Will this be better if I give it some more time?
Also when i have worn the lens the whole day I get pain in my transplanted eye, no discomfort just slight pain like aching. Is this normal when i am new to lenses?
it is just blurry
Also when i take my lenses out, I cannot see jack shit, when I put my glasses on which I usually can see 7/10 on my grafted eye it is just blurry. Cant see anything.
Is this common, this freaks me cause i fell handicapped until the next morning when the glasses usually work again.

Is the something i Should worry about regarding above mentioned?

chris1972as
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Re: Really need some help here

Postby chris1972as » Sat 15 Sep 2012 5:45 am

Hi Grim10,

Sorry to hear your having problems, and I can't advise you medically, but would say you should probably call your optician and explain to he or she. However I am sure those with more knowledge will assist you in the forum soon.

Grim10
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Grim10 » Sat 15 Sep 2012 3:42 pm

Yes I would really appreciate some help here....

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sat 15 Sep 2012 4:26 pm

Grim,

I'm surprised that you've been told that it'll be three weeks until you get optimal vision. I usually know immediately if I try a new lens whether or the vision is optimised. This could however because you are new to wearing lenses and need to build up wear time, or that your brain needs to get used to seeing with with contact lenses. It is not unusual not to be able to see properly with glasses when you take your contact lenses out - this is known as spectacle blur and is due to the RGP lens moulding the cornea. In the morning you can see again with your glasses because your eyes have demoulded overnight.

I'm not sure what you mean by the lens 'swapping around'. It does take time to get used to RGPs but you really shouldn't be that aware of them. But if it doesn't feel right it's probably with getting it checked.

Hope this helps,

Lia

Grim10
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Grim10 » Sat 15 Sep 2012 6:27 pm

What I mean is that the fitting in my grafted eye is much better cause of the new cornea without cone. The lens in my KC eye does not feel comfortable, and maby I cannot get it fitted better cause my cone is still there..

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Sat 15 Sep 2012 8:24 pm

If it's not comfortable the fit probably is not quite right. It's not unusual for RGPs not to fit first time and a slight change to the fit may make the lens comfortable. If however the lens is thought be a good fit it may because the lens is sitting on a sensitive part of the cornea and a different design of RGP might work. There are lots of different types of lenses available and hopefully the opticians can find the right one for you.

Lia

Return to “General Discussion Forum”