FOR ALL STUDENTS WITH KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Penelope MacLellan
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

FOR ALL STUDENTS WITH KC

Postby Penelope MacLellan » Sat 08 Sep 2012 10:34 am

As it is not commun knowledge, or advertised anywhere I thought I should spread the word through the KC forum.

If you suffer from KC and are a student you are entitled to a Student Disability Allowance every year of your studies.

Depending on your needs your allowance can pay for a computer, printer, scanner, desk, chair, lamp etc... anything that allows you to study more comfortably. It also pays for a reader, scribe and note taker, for example if you cannot keep up with classes because you can't copy the note from the board. Your allowance can pay for software such as Texthelp which can read text aloud from the computer screen. It can pay a print allowance if you need all your notes printed in large print for example.

I have all of these things, for previous studies and present studies. On good days I can read and write perfectly well, but over extended periods it cause alot of strain, and can cause my eyes alot of discomfort. In bad times when I have an irritation or an infection I can have to go 4 weeks at a time without my contacts which could leave me very behind in my studies and put my degree at risk, without these extra supports in place I would not be able to study.

At exam times you can also be entitled to extra time, a reader/scribe, perhaps use of computer.

Please think about what would make your study life more effective/acessible then visit the disabled student advisor in your establishment. My student disabled advisor had no knowledge of KC, so I had to educate her about KC, and instead of her assisting me and advising me what was available to me, I had to discuss in detail what my needs were so we could apply for my equipement.

If any students would like some help or support with this I am more than happy to assist you!

Take care
Penelope

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: FOR ALL STUDENTS WITH KC

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 08 Sep 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks Penelope.
Andrew MacLean

Rose
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Re: FOR ALL STUDENTS WITH KC

Postby Rose » Sun 16 Sep 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Penelope
Yours is a very timely post. I only discovered that my son [with KC] could be entitled to DSA by someone else posting a couple of months ago. My son had his interview for DSA on Friday and the assessor was really helpful. All the items you mention were discussed with him as well as travelling cost to medical appointments. He will not know if he will get what has been decided on for a while and we were told that it is getting harder to get equipment, but the assessor seemed to think he will get a package that will help him. So I hope other students starting out at colleges and universities will read your post and apply. :D

Return to “General Discussion Forum”