Centre for Sight

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jennie_5678
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Centre for Sight

Postby Jennie_5678 » Wed 08 Aug 2012 2:22 pm

I was just wondering whether anyone has had a corneal graft under Dr. Sheraz Daya @ Centre for Sight, East Grinsted. If you have, please could you tell me about your experience.

Many thanks ;)

Jennie x

caroline6505
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Centre for Sight

Postby caroline6505 » Thu 16 Aug 2012 3:52 pm

Hi

Yes, I've had treatment at the Centre for Sight from Dr Sheraz Daya.

If I'm being honest, I trust Dr Daya and have complete faith in his ability as an expert in his field (top of his field!), however, I felt that I was given unrealistic expectations in terms of recovery time, etc. My background is that I became aware that I was having great difficulty reading and it was affecting my ability to work. I visited a local optician who advised that my vision had deteriorated fairly rapidly (over a 2 year period) and sold me an expensive pair of glasses that made absolutely no difference. I duly challenged him insisting that the new glasses were of no use and sought a refund. A family member had a graft by Dr Daya years ago and I decided to track him down and pay him a visit. I figured the £350 was better spent on a flight and a consultation to find out what was going on. Dr D advised that I needed CXL in both eyes and a graft in my right eye. It's been a year almost to the day that I had my graft and my vision had improved to the point where I can read (not always comfortably), but better than before. Things didn't go smoothly (not down to Dr D) as I developed an allergy to the stitches, some cheese-wired, then reacted to the drops, stitches had to be removed (they were supposed to be permanent), etc etc. My brain didn't use both eyes for a few months and when it did, my vision was as if I were cross-eyed (my eyes weren't working together). Dr D is always very positive and confident and so has a tendency to say say 'oh, you'll be back at work within a few days' (i.e. be very over-optimistic on the recovery side), however, I appreciate he's a surgeon and not a psychic. I guess I'm saying that the reality of the recovery time didn't quite match up to what I'd been led to believe. In terms of the surgery itself, he's thorough (tests, etc) and professional. In honesty, I recall very little about the surgery – I was awake and had some awareness of what was going on, but felt no pain (before or afterwards – apparently incisions are made by laser as opposed to scalpel and because of it's accuracy, depth, etc, is less painful and so healing is quicker).

Typed this quickly and so if I've missed anything, or you'd like to know more, PM me.

Though I can't advise anyone what to do, I have no hesitation in saying that I'm happy with my results!

Caroline.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”