good news

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

rena mcintyre

good news

Postby rena mcintyre » Wed 05 Oct 2005 2:45 pm

I went to the doctors couple weeks ago. And both doctors said, my cornea transplant is healing great. I had four stitches taken out and my eye feels so much better. But my vision isn't good yet. I met a man in the waiting room and he said, it is a waiting game another words it take time to get sight back. He had two cornea transplant in each eye. I can't imagin going threw this with both eyes!
rena :shock:

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Wed 05 Oct 2005 5:05 pm

Thats excellent news!...How long has it been now?
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Wed 05 Oct 2005 5:39 pm

Good news Rena.

Once you have had one graft, the second is easy as most people who need grafts in both eyes (not many) get the second done when it has settled and there is good vision with glasses.

You know that the graft is not as bad as you think it will be so second time is a short break in hospital
Gareth

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Wed 05 Oct 2005 8:55 pm

Glad to hear some good news! Am really hoping the same in six weeks time! :o

Take care
Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

rena mcintyre

good news

Postby rena mcintyre » Fri 07 Oct 2005 8:05 pm

July 27,2005 was my cornes transplant. I've been waiting to get enough guts to return to work. I'm a private duty nurse. I feel I don't have what it takes because I would hate to make a mistake in giving a wrong amount of medicane,because I can't see well enough.rena :roll:

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Fri 07 Oct 2005 11:15 pm

Hey there

Just wanted to add that i do understand where work is involved, being a nurse myself, and god forbid if i made a mistake on the drug chart!

I have had a long time off sick due to eyesight problems, though this wasn't to do with the graft, but work have being very supportive. I had to read a chart to make sure i could read small text before i went back, but not quite sure if you have the same thing with occ health?

I was very worried about the infection risk as well, working in a hospital since having a graft. But i think so long as i don't play with my eyes / lens and make sure that i wash my hands properly i should be ok!

Hope you get back to work soon,
Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Sat 08 Oct 2005 1:39 pm

I think the risk of infection in a hospital is less likely than the places I used to work!!!!

As you say Sweet, washing hand correctly before touching your face/eyes is good. Six months post graft on my left eye, I was working doen sewers and on land fill sights doing environmental monitoring. Some of the monitoring was ensuring hospital waste was disposed of correctly requiring samples of raw hospital waste being taken before it was treated and more samples post treatment. These areas are real dusty and microbeal aerosols all over the place.

Since having the first graft over 16 years ago, never had an eye infection.

Gareth
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”