just a few things

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

chris1972as
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

just a few things

Postby chris1972as » Thu 19 Jul 2012 6:22 pm

First of all so far so good with the op, and the first thing I am having probs wearing my contact lens with my remaining eye every time i take it out it is coated in white muck of some sort and sticky i clean it and return it to my eye and few hours later same problem? Should i visit my optician? And last of all its killing me to not cycle how long after the operation till you can cycle anyone with any ideas? :D

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: just a few things

Postby GarethB » Thu 19 Jul 2012 7:08 pm

Best to play it safe to make sure the gunge on the lens isn't the result of an eye infection, the last thing you want to do is accidently introduce infection to the other eye.

Chances are it is something minor but like I say, always best to play it safe and either see the consultant soon or take a trip to eye casualty.

They will also advise on cycling because recemndations today are vastly different from when I had my grafts over 20 years ago where within a week I was back to physical work on the local farm during the school holidays.
Gareth

chris1972as
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby chris1972as » Sat 21 Jul 2012 2:04 pm

A protein build up on the lens has been the problem, suppose to be getting a new one and sending the other off to be polished, fingers crossed i have been told i may make a long return come back to wearing spectacles in a few months, god i do hope so :D Me and contact lenses never worked in harmony, its been three and a half years of nightmares.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 21 Jul 2012 4:41 pm

Long ago and in a nearby galaxy it was always assumed that protein would build up on a contact lens. Special tablets were sold and, once a week, lens wearers would dissolve a tablet in a little vial of sterile solution and drop in a lens for an overnight soak.
At the end of this process the lens would sparkle until protein but up again.
Nowadays only the elderly still follow the protein removal regime.
Andrew MacLean

chris1972as
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby chris1972as » Sat 21 Jul 2012 4:53 pm

thanks andrew for the advise however i have tried those tablets and still failed, along with i clean i use and crystal clean, one of the problems i face a lot is my eyes are always dry and sticky, tend to produce an awful lot of rubbish this doesnt help the contact lenses and have suffered with this reaccuring nightmare with my eyes since i was a baby, tried every dry eye remady going and well over dosed on it and still failed, it even baffles the opticians because the contact lens is only 4 months old. I get through two sets a year and like stated honestly tried every cleaning product there is, could be something to do with the make, or perhaps the substances used for wearing them that makes my eyes seem to hate them more and produce the mass protein build up :?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 22 Jul 2012 8:21 pm

Before I gave up on RGP lenses I could use the tablets 2 or 3 times a week and there would still be a rapid build up. The conclusion was that as this occured with different types of RGP lenses that I had becoame sensitised to the material so the protein build up was my eye reacting against them.

No longer a problem with my soft lenses for KC.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”