First Pair of Glasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GrandPaClanger
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

First Pair of Glasses

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sun 15 Jul 2012 7:53 am

Well it's been 14 months since my graft. Apart from the pressure problems (now under control) it's not been to bad. Picked up a pair of glasses yesterday. Seems as though the prescription is wrong for the balancing lens as that eye is blurry. Still I took them away to try as without a contact on the un grafted eye I can't see anything out of it anyway. So telephone calls to the hospital on Monday I guess.

According to the old chart I can get 6/9 on the graft with glasses. Not sure if that is the case in the real world though.

I am finding it odd looking at vertical or parallel objects though (close up doors and frames for example) as they bend. Reading up its a common problem because of the astigmatism. I assume I am not alone ? :)

Not down hearted though as there are still some sutures left to play with Its an experiment to see how I get on. Nice to be able to smack on a pair of glasses in bed and see something without having to get up and put a lens in.

The best news is a contact lens is on order (11mm RGP ) that gives me 20/20. Even with the glasses I am amazed at how much more detail I can see and how vibrant colours are. All down to the central scarring I had before the graft and still in the ungraffted eye It's now set me off thinking about having the other eye done. Not a conversation i was planning on having with myself for a couple of years.

Ian

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Re: First Pair of Glasses

Postby Lynn White » Sun 15 Jul 2012 11:20 am

HI There...

Just trying to work out what you were expecting here...

Seems as though the prescription is wrong for the balancing lens as that eye is blurry

A balancing lens means that it is NOT the right prescription! I am ssuming these spectacles are giving vision to your grafted eye? The balancing lens for the non grafted eye is there probably becasue you could not tolerate the full rpescription in that eye?

The bending is due to the astigmatism and you will adapt to it the more you use the glasses. However, some people find they cannot ever quite tolerate the full astigmatic correction because it has been induced at a later age than childhood. If this is the case, then the power can be modified so you are more comfortable is a little more blurry.

Hope this helps!!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sun 15 Jul 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the reply Lynn. Not sure what I was expecting TBH having never worn glasses (apart from a few months 33 years ago). The balancing lens was to allow me to wear the glasses for the graft (RE) and the lens in the LE at the same time. In the "Chair" it gave clear vision and adjusted the image size so it was the same from both eye's.. My LE is to far gone for glasses (K reading at 51 with Keratoglobus) As you say something must have happend to the prescription along the way. The Sphere is -4 on the prescription not sure if that is good or bad. I am sure it can be resolved.

Ian

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Jezzafletcher » Tue 17 Jul 2012 12:29 pm

Way to go GPC - all sounds pretty good do far - chin up... not too far though otherwise you'll walk into a lamppost !
Take care
Jez

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Tue 17 Jul 2012 1:06 pm

That's The problem Jez the lamppost appear to bend out of the way when in reality they don't :)

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 17 Jul 2012 1:14 pm

I remember one pair of glasses I got in the post grafts period (when I still couldn't wear lenses) which the optom thought I probably wouldn't be able to cope with. Wearing them outside, I had the sensation that all the buildings around me were falling on top of me - things were bending in rather than away. But after a week or so, my brain miraculously adapted to this and I began to see 'normally'. So give it a few more days, Ian. If it's still a problem, then maybe a tweak will improve things.
The potential contact lens vision sounds great!
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”