Got my graft date at last!

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Got my graft date at last!

Postby space_cadet » Thu 21 Jun 2012 8:58 pm

good luck for your graft!! n 4th line on the chart is far better than many of us have managed in years!!
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

holmes
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby holmes » Fri 22 Jun 2012 6:09 pm

Thank you for the good luck wish. I do realise that there is always someone in a worse position, however when you work in medical diagnostics, clear vision is a bit important! If this doesn't work I will have to find a different job, after 18 years of hard work and study (against the odds!) I am a bit reluctant to throw it all away! I can't see any of the chart (even when they bring it up close) with the right eye. The 4th line is best possible on a good day with the left eye, most of the time it's a lot worse.

Joanne Poultney
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Joanne Poultney » Mon 25 Jun 2012 2:03 pm

All the best for you operation this week!! I've had both my eye grafted (left by PK 14 years ago, right by DALK 20 months ago). My left is great and I've got very good vision with glasses. On Thursday last week I went back into hospital to have an op to correct the severe astigmatism in my right eye. So right now I've got a sore eye and am feeling very bored!! Hope all goes well for you.

holmes
Contributor
Contributor

Postby holmes » Thu 28 Jun 2012 8:08 am

Thank you to everyone who has sent supportive messages to me. I had my graft yesterday, they managed to do the DALK procedure, everything went very well, early signs are all good. My vision is cloudy as expected, but I can see a bit of an improvement already so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am feeling a bit sore today and a bit groggy from the anaesthetic but I a very happy!! :D

Suzanne

j85
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby j85 » Thu 28 Jun 2012 9:35 am

Thats great to hear!

Everyone is wishing you well on here and your updates only keep us all positive! Its great to hear your feeling good about it at this early stage!

Keep us updated!

Jamie
Jamie - j85

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 28 Jun 2012 11:59 am

Excellent news, Suzanne. Take it easy for the next few days. As I'm sure you know, vision fluctuates quite a bit over the next few months, so don't worry if some days are better than others. Happy healing!
Anne

chris1972as
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby chris1972as » Tue 03 Jul 2012 5:29 pm

My graft operation is in the morning, after 8 months of waiting, feeling calm and relaxed, just looking forward till this time tomorrow :D

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 03 Jul 2012 5:32 pm

All the very best for tomorrow, Chris. You and Emma will be able to compare notes, having your operations on the same day!
Anne

holmes
Contributor
Contributor

Postby holmes » Tue 03 Jul 2012 6:41 pm

Good luck for tomorrow, I hope it all goes well for you both, I will keep my fingers crossed. I am still happy that I went ahead with it, I went for my follow-up this afternoon, everything is going well so far! :D My eye is still a bit gritty due to the stitches and it gets a bit sore later in the day but overall it was not as bad as I thought from all the horror stories that i've heard. I was even brave enough to wash my hair very carefully on Sunday night, it was the scariest hairwash ever!

Suzanne

chris1972as
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby chris1972as » Sun 08 Jul 2012 8:17 am

Hi all, been told by my surgean that everything went well, though do feel sore and a little bruised, brought myself a pirate patch for when watching tele, that help tremendously, hope everyones fine and well

Return to “General Discussion Forum”