Hi from a newbie

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jennie67
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Hi from a newbie

Postby jennie67 » Sun 20 May 2012 6:13 pm

Hi, Im new to all this. Was just diagnosed with Keratoconus on Thursday at a routine sight check. The optician rang the hospital and got me in for tomorrow afternoon. I have worn contact lenses for the past 28 years but recently my sight without my lenses has degraded and i have slight double vision. I just thought i needed a new prescription. The optician told me very little about the condition and i came home scared to death i was going blind. After some research online my husband found this site. Its been very informative and set my mind at rest some. So not dreading tomorrow so much now. :? Jennie

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Hi from a newbie

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sun 20 May 2012 8:58 pm

Hi Jennie and welcome to the forum
I've moved your post from the Playpen to the general discussion forum where more people will see it. And I'm glad you've been reassured by our site. What sort of lenses have you been wearing? Keratoconus is usually diagnosed in the teens or early twenties so if you have 'late onset' KC the chances are that it won't progress very much and that the hospital will simply prescribe new lenses for you. Do let us know how you get on tomorrow. And if you'd like our information booklet about the condition, just e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk and I can send you a copy.
All the best
Anne

jennie67
Vision: Other

Postby jennie67 » Sun 20 May 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Anne and thank you. Until about 8 years ago I had gas perm lenses cos I suffer from dry eye. But then changed to high water content soft lenses. I understand that I'm a bit of an oldie where this condition is concerned being 45 on friday. Will see what the hospital say tomorrow and let you know. :?

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Jezzafletcher » Mon 21 May 2012 5:20 am

Hi Jennie - a very warm welcome! Hope it goes OK at hospital - once you know a bit more I am sure that will be when others will be in a better position to support you. KC tends to be a rather individual - it tends to affect us all in different ways at different times - hence the diversity of members. Anyway take care and once again good luck.
Jez

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Jezzafletcher » Tue 22 May 2012 5:39 am

Hi Jennie - how did it go at hospital yesterday? Sometimes I set myself up a bit by expecting to find out everything I need to know when actually what I need to do is to take a breath, absorb and reflect... Hope you are ok and post on here when you can.
Jez

Chris_J
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Chris_J » Wed 23 May 2012 3:39 pm

Hi Jennie,

Hello! Just wanted to say I hope it all went well for you. I must admit this forum is great for putting your mind at ease - I think more than anything it's nice to know some others out there you can talk to.

Cheers

Chris

Return to “General Discussion Forum”