First Anniversary

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GrandPaClanger
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

First Anniversary

Postby GrandPaClanger » Thu 03 May 2012 6:13 am

Well it's a year today since I had my graft done. How time flies. It's been challenging at times as there were issues with the pressure because of the steroids. . Fortunately that's under control with a combination of drops.

Vision is better than the other eye uncorrected but still not getting the top letter. I can however get half way down the chart with glasses which is a positive. I am back in theatre tomorrow morning for a suture adjustment so fingers crossed.

Also a day to thank my donor and their family for giving me this opportunity.

Ian

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: First Anniversary

Postby Jezzafletcher » Thu 03 May 2012 6:39 pm

Happy anniversary GPC! Glad it is generally going ok - the stitches thing is easy - you'll be ok. I think it is really great to remember The Donor & their family - something that I as a "graftee" try to do regularly. They really are the unsung heroes of KC. Best of luck for tomorrow - really routing for you. Let' us know ASAP that you are ok.
Jez

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jezzafletcher » Fri 04 May 2012 8:20 pm

HO GPC - I know it is too early for you to respond but... Just to let you know we are thinking of you.
Jez

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sat 05 May 2012 6:42 am

Thanks for the positive vibes Joz and all.

Yesterday went well. Mr P my consultant decided that it was possibly only a couple of stitches that needed looking at so a local was in order. I was one of the first in so walked into theatre half 9 so not to much hanging around.

It was really interesting being awake and "watching" them prep me. Never felt a thing when he removed the first stitch. He then used I think he said an asymeteric rule to take some measurement. They all said that it looked nice and nothing else needed to be done. So that way it.

Left hospital about an hour later with some anti biotic drops job done. Light sources look better defined and I can no longer read my iPhone when it's 3" from my nose. Other than that things stll blurry. I guess we will see what the refraction test show in five weeks. Hopefully I simpler glasses prescription is required to dial out any astigmatism

On another posative he wants get a contact lens fitted so that something to look forward to. Will be nuce to have two eyes again.

Ian

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jezzafletcher » Sat 05 May 2012 9:47 am

That is really excellent news GPC - I had a Keratotomy (spelling?) under a local anaesthetic & they drew on my eyeball with special pens and it was all fine. So anyone who is going to have it done - it's a doddle! Glad to see that your I Phone spell check plays havoc with what you type!!! I still hold mine at 3 inches from my nose and I still don't spot all the gobbledygook... Take it easy over the next few days - when I had my stitches out it felt a little itchy at times but give it a couple of days.
Let the other Clangers look after you!

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Sat 05 May 2012 11:59 am

Yep reading that back with a contact lens in and reading glasses on there is some rubbish :D . I was able to read my Iphone great before yesterday from 3" away. Oh well small price to pay i guess.
Ian

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jezzafletcher » Mon 21 May 2012 6:52 am

GPC - you have gone very quiet - I'm hoping that is because everything is Ok? Silence is usually a sign of good news but just checking!!!
Jez

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Mon 21 May 2012 11:48 am

LOL Yep all is well but thanks for asking. Nothing happening (all being well) till my refraction test on the 7th June.

Off to Turkey for 10 days on Friday so making sure i have sufficient supply of all my drops + spare lens for the other eye + solutions + sunglasses + reading glasses + ....................................................................

Dont like putting drops in the hold so getting ready to do battle with the security checks on the way out at least :D

Ian

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jezzafletcher » Tue 22 May 2012 5:35 am

Bit worried GPC - no mention of your mankini in your list of what you are taking. Have a fab time - munch on a couple of kebabs for me. Let us know how 7/7 goes.
Jez

Return to “General Discussion Forum”