decision time !! need advice

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Re: decision time !! need advice

Postby Lynn White » Fri 10 Feb 2012 11:53 pm

OK Gary,

Let me do this list for you, though it can be a tad complicated...

Pros

Its free on the NHS

Other option are private and costly

You may get good vision without lenses

You may get undistorted vision

Cons
You may end up still needing lenses and therefore exactly in the same position you are now

You may end up with a titled graft, inflammation, rejection episodes

Grafts on average last around 7 years. Some people have them for 20 -30 years but others can reject after 3-5 years. Rejection risk increases by 25% after every regraft

The graft may be totally clear and wonderful from a medical point of view.....but the resultant shape may well be so strange that no contact lens will fit and vision through glasses is impossible

Grafts are much more susceptible to damage through sport and injury. Contact sports are pretty much contra indicated. (As someone who deals with the aftermath of such incidents!)

Now please do not anyone take this the wrong way (as in I am not advertising!) .... if you visit http://www.kerasoft.co.uk/kerasoft-ic/patient-videos/ these are patient testimonials for KeraSoft. This is not what I am directing you for. The first row are all patients of mine who have had grafts or have been told they need grafts. The point is, these do show the issues people still have with grafts and how they can avoid grafts with other lens choices.

My feeling is you are being cornered by the financial issues. This is not a sensible way to decide your whole visual future. There are often ways around financial issues, if you are creative.

Take the money out of the equation, decide what you want to do and then work on how to finance it.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”