Hello

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Chris_J
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Hello

Postby Chris_J » Fri 03 Feb 2012 12:28 pm

Hi All,

Just thought I'd say hello as I stumbled across this site from google and it's quite nice to know there is something out there like this website/forum.

I'm 34 and have been wearing the rose k lenses since I was 15 and my eyes seems to have been stable for decent periods of time and then seem to decline quite a bit and then become stable again. It got really bad when I was about 26 so much so that I have scar on my left eye where the lens rubbed on it but the good news on that is at least it's not in the way of my vision so doesn't cause problems there, but does mean my eye gets dry as my refitted lens still catches it. Just over christmas my eye went really sore and it looks like my eye has changed shape again in addition to my eye getting quite dry so ended up with 5 sets of drops to put in my eyes (although the hospital kindly numbered them up so when they coincided I knew which ones to put in first!)

Anyway it seems I need a new left lens but I'm pretty much at the limit of the RGP's so I've got a fitting appointment (end of Feb which unfortunately is a bit of a way off) where they will try a piggy back and scleral lens to see which works the best.

So that's my story, and hello to you all!

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Hello

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 03 Feb 2012 2:30 pm

Hello Chris and welcome!
I hope either the scerals or the piggy backing work for you - there's certainly lots of people here who do one or the other and get good comfort. Let us know how you get on.
Anne

Chris_J
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris_J » Tue 28 Feb 2012 9:50 pm

Hi,

Well after going to the eye hospital today I thought I'd post a little update. It went really really well!

They tried the steepest lens first and it turned out that it didn't quite fit - it was too steep which surprised the hospital somewhat so they were able to going two less steeper which only just touched the top of the cone of my cornea however did feel comfortable and fitted pretty well over all. She was worried though that my vision wouldn't be as good with this lens as the the one I currently have. As it turned out I had even better vision! I'm not sure what the lines on the letter charts equate to but I got an extra three lines down.

All in all I'm pretty happy right now and never expected this outcome. Also this new lens is being made out of a new material than my current ones so allows oxygen through better and maintains wet-ability better. Just got to wait 3 or 4 weeks for it to be made now.

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Jezzafletcher » Tue 28 Feb 2012 10:46 pm

Way to go Chris - that is really excellent news. I am sure Ronan Keating wrote "Life is a Rollercoaster" in honour of KC!!! There is something a little insidious about our friend KC (no Sunshine Band though) - always around, sometimes changing and always, somehow, a feature in our lives to varying degrees. It's a bit like having a toddler - when it's good...it's very very good & when it's bad...it's horrid. Enjoy your new lenses and I hope that you get on well with them!

Jez

Chris_J
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris_J » Thu 01 Mar 2012 11:33 am

Hi Jez,

I think that song is somewhat apt! It is funny how you go through times where everything is fine and you don't think of it much, but as you say you then go through those periods where it's just problem after problem.

At least research is on going - I certainly had no idea they had a new material for my lenses for example. The current material I've had for over 15 years now - maybe I should have spent a bit more time looking on the net before now. I'm also rather glad I stumbled across this group as it's nice to know there is somewhere out there to chat about things like this as to be honest up to this point there has been no one to talk to about it.

I'm still in a great mood at the moment so I'll continue to enjoy that now and really looking forward to my new lens (not least because I'm not supposed to wear my current left one unless I have to so it's all a little horrible vision wise!)

Cheers

Chris

Chris_J
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris_J » Fri 13 Apr 2012 8:31 am

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post an update! I was at the hospital yesterday to get my lens....which fitted perfectly. The only minor issue was that when someone typed in the details for the lens they put in -22.25D rather than -25.25D so as a result the lens wasn't actually much use so they need to get another made....and another three to four week wait!

I'm a bit disappointed, but these things happen and the person who was checking the lens was very apologetic. I was looking forward to being able to read the bottom line (I had a different person than last time and again they were surprised at the vision I got) but I guess I've waited this long a little longer won't hurt!!

Chris_J
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Chris_J » Tue 24 Apr 2012 12:44 pm

Hi All,

Well I have my new lens (and in quick time so that's good!) and I seem to have a bit of a weird problem and wondered if anyone had any comments on it.

Firstly when reading down the chart I can do all but the bottom line (And can see the bottom line but it's hard work) so everything seemed ok there. However in normal use I find there is a slight bit of ghosting or double vision from that eye with this lens (It's not bad so I can live with it and only noticeable when I look through that eye only ) but what I am finding is that whilst the vision is good through that eye if I close my right eye and look through just my left eye I really need to concentrate to be able to see if that makes sense and then when I do I can see fine?!

This lens is much better than the one I had before vision wise and I had that for years so I'm wondering if I got used to not using that eye or something?

Anyway any thoughts appreciated!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”